About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday, 1 July 2013

And so to the end.

The reprobates, namely Chrissy, Kev and Josh, turned up late!! The table at the Rising Sun was booked for 6pm but they didn't arrive until 5.45pm. After sorting Echo out and explaining the mountain of tablets she is to have throughout the day, and then Christine having to have a word with the boat moored next to us, Nb Warrior, about their dogs diarrhea, (Christine is a veterinary nurse) we never got to our table until an hour later. The staff had all but given up on us and was just about to give our reserved table to someone else! Anyway we had another good meal ( I could get used to eating out every night ) and arrived back to the boat to a momentous greeting from both dogs. It is lovely having two dogs again.

This morning I was once again awake before 6am . It seems my abdominal pains are worse first thing in the morning only gradually getting bearable throughout the day. I have been on the antibiotics for 3 days now and had hoped for a steady improvement. Maybe I'm being my usual impatient self, wanting to be better sooner rather then later. I do feel better in myself, so that's okay at least, just wish the pain would stop. Because we were up so early we pulled pins before 8.30am and headed towards the end of navigation at Snarestone arriving at our destination by 10.15am.

Snarestone tunnel

This tunnel is one way traffic only although it appears wide enough for two boats. Only when you enter the tunnel you realise how very bendy it is and meeting another boat could become quite challenging.

End of the Ashby navigation so far. More restoration work is in the pipeline.
  After using the facilities and having lunch we set off for the walk along the disused part of the Ashby toward Measham. Ian discovered that he only had enough masking tape on board to do one side of the boat and said he knew of a hardware store in the village. Now I hadn't realised quite how far Measham was. Ian looked at the map before we left and estimated about 3 mile. I did make a good attempt at keeping up with Ian, but what with still feeling less then 100% and blaming the dogs because they were dragging their heels, I gave up and let Ian go off on his own. Echo and Jade were very glad to be back. They are both 13yrs old and in human years that makes them 91! Ian returned 3 hours later feeling very pleased with himself for having walked the 6 miles (3 there and 3 back) and with the added bonus of purchasing three more reels of low tack masking tape. Here are 5 of his photos taken along the route.

Peugeot on the canal bed well and truly squashed by...........

A Tank

Looking back along the Ashby canal from Measham

The canal runs along the length of the photo incorporating the gardens. Apparently the hardware store was built over the canal and in the cellar there is still  evidence of an archway of a bridge 'ole
And now back to my photos

Echo is on the left.

slipway is in place

This hole was dug as a test to see if a liner was needed to keep in the water. When the water flowed into the newly formed section, it sprung a leak and had to be dewatered and a new liner put in.

We wondered why no boats were moored on the battlefield site. Now we know.

Another lovely spot on the Snarestone 48 hour moorings.

Ducks waterslide

And finally:-

 Insects view of a water Iris

Appears to have lost a leg!
Wild rose

One way of giving a leg a rest.

No comments:

Blog Archive