About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday 28 May 2013

Clear up begins

It's been quite manic here with the men arriving from Crocers to take down the marquee and the loos being loaded onto a trailer ( glad they didn't tip off the fork lift truck. Imagine the mess!!) The weather had been foul and I didn't envy the men having to roll up all that wet canvas and get it on the lorry. In fact as the rain was forecast to arrive in the wee hours of the morning, and because our bunting had all been made by me out of quilt covers from a charity shop, ( no noise you see if the wind blows. All that plastic bunting makes a hell of a racket!) Ian decided that taking it down wet and in the rain in the morning was a bad idea. So last night in the dark and just as the drizzle started, we climbed on the roof and took it down. Anyway I'm getting off the subject. All our men from the work party came and cleared the site of banners, bunting, beer barrels, lights, electric cables etc while I helped out in the cottage kitchen with the drying up of  500 pint beer glasses 300 half pint glasses and 120 wine glasses. It took both Heather (who washed them) and me nearly 3 hours. Eventually by 2pm the site had been cleared. A few boats still remain especially here above the lock. Tomorrow I'm off to the zoo, would you believe, with my grandson Josh. All I can say is God help me! If my writing is illiterate when I get back you'll know that I will have been completely worn down and frazzled by a 3 year old!

Looking very sparse now (and very wet.)

Shame the weather wasn't better for the journey back to Trent lock

Can anyone identify this plant. Flowers are very small and were growing amongst the bluebells in Shenley Wood

No comments:

Blog Archive