About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Wednesday, 1 August 2012

Mosquito wars

I had a horrible night last night, as from 12.30pm onwards, a mozzie made me its target and continuously made bombing runs straight at my face. Ian seemed totally oblivious to the annoying buzzing, but there again,  he sleeps with ear plugs pushed firmly in his ears because he moans that my snoring keeps him awake. I have absolutely no idea  what he means as it doesn't keep me awake!! Anyway by 1.30 am I could stand it no more, so got up, made a cup of tea and settled down in the armchair. As I was drifting into the land of nod, a sudden buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz made me sit up. The dratted thing had followed me into the lounge!!! Thats when I declared war!!! Out came the TV times to try and swipe the thing, and when that failed, I resorted to the can of fly killer. As I had no idea where the mozzie had got to,  I just went mad spraying all around the room. The poor dog started sneezing, leapt out of her bed and made a dash to Ian in the bedroom. By now I was gasping for fresh air myself and stuck my head out of the front doors just so I could breath.. But you know what, I must have suffocated that darned mozzie because I had no more problems for the rest of the night. And what of Ian? He was totally oblivious to all the cursing, swiping and spraying and dog scurrying into the bedroom, sleeping through it all!!!

Ian, after a good nights sleep, woke me at 6.30am to say it was time we were under way. At the moment the Olympics are all important to both of us so it made sense to travel early morning and moor after a couple of hours. On the approach to Shadehouse lock we passed Nb Like Ducks to Water. Its a shame Jacquie and Stein were still in bed. I would have loved to say Hello. Fradley was so quiet. None of the usual holdups at the locks. We sailed onto the waterpoint by 8 am just as another boat left. The tap at the facilities is oh so slow which in the end benefited us as 2 boats pulled off the 48 hour moorings which allowed us to moor here instead of Alrewas.

Middle lock looking toward the junction.

Another Health and Safety issue! 

Junction lock at the junction of T&M and Coventry
1 pm and still the only boat moored. I don't think I have ever seen Fradley so quiet.
.Our journey from leaving Wood End lock to Fradley, below Junction lock, was just 1 mile and 3 locks. Took us all of 59 minutes.. 


nb Chance said...

Where is everyone at Fradley? Is it really August?


Yes - we was in bed, after 2 very early starts previously! shame we missed you too, always nice to catch other bloggers. we at Shugborough now on way to Maccie,enjoy rest of your travels. Jacquie & Stein

Blog Archive