About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Sunday 27 May 2012

Corrrr....... What an eyeful!!

Wow! I was pleasantly surprised, today, when the sun brought out more then I bargained for. 2 day boats came towards us at speed with both boats having an all male party on board. As the first boat drew level I noticed 5 young men sitting on the roof, all but 1 semi naked. The one starkers guy stood up revealing a very well endowed meat and two veg. I pretended to take a photo and some good nature banter passed between us. It really made my day!! Even Ian had to chuckle reminding him of days gone by when he did a similar thing on a Thames sailing barge.

Probably a good job this photo is blurred!!!!


Those in the second boat seemed older and more sedate. Only the two men at the back of the first boat was decent.


On a more serious note I came across this when I walked Jade after leaving our mooring at Cosgrove. Moored nearby were two small cruisers and I can only assume this came from one of them, if not both.



We made it to Stoke Bruerne bottom lock with 2 boats already  waiting to ascend. While waiting our turn thankfully 5 minutes later another boat turned up. Its always easier to lock up with another boat and it helps to pass the time having a good natter while waiting in the locks. Every lock had to be turned round but we still made the long pound in just over an hour. ( having to wait for the first pair to exit the locks seemed to take ages ). We had decided to wash the port side of the boat and stopping after lock 5 gave us that opportunity as the towpath was on that side. No shade to make life easier  because all the good spots were already taken, so while I washed, Ian quickly took the leather to dry the side before it all dried streaky. After a quick lunch we set off again but this time on our own. There were only two more locks to do but being Sunday all the gongoozalers were out watching our every move. Thankfully we had no mistakes or mishaps because' sods law' says when your watched all that could go wrong usually does. Blisworth tunnel was the wettest I have known for a long time and yet no rain has fallen for 2 weeks!!! We left the tunnel with our clothes wet through,  we might just as well have been under a shower.



Dazzled by Ian's white legs. First viewing this year.


Gongoozalers at Stoke Bruerne top lock

A few more wildlife pictures on our journey today.


 A resourceful pigeon

 
Even the swans found the heat to much. I've never seen a swan pant!


Even the goose on her eggs found the heat oppressive.

Our moorings tonight are at Bugbrook. First thing I did was get my rod out. I seem to have got the fishing bug again but all I have is bread as bait.  I caught no end of bream  but maggot produces a better variety. I'll just have to find a tackle shop.

 





1 comment:

Jo Lodge said...

You really do have all the fun ha ha ha. I had to giggle at the thought of a streaker on a boat. Knowing how hot the roof gets, he could have had roasted meat and two veg lol ;0)
Great photographs once again.
Happy cruising xx

Blog Archive