About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday 25 July 2023

A short 20 minute cruise.

 24th July

 This weather of late, diabolical. Rain first thing meant Ian had again to brave the elements taking Toffee for her morning 'hurry ups' and more wet doggy smells to contend with on their return!

The McDonald's left us around 9 ish. One mile was the travel distance today as the facilities at Endon Bank was the most convenient place for them to meet Ed. We left about 90 minutes later, I had dinner to prepare for tonight. Yesterday we had Toad in the Hole on Waka Huia, with mashed potatoes, veg and mushroom sauce, it was delicious. Then chocolate brownie for dessert, talk about getting spoilt! So today I decided on Butternut Squash soup, vegetarian Lasagna and salad followed by Apple and Rhubarb crumble. The majority I wanted to get done before we set off, didn't quite achieve that because peeling the squash and deseeding it took forever. The soup was the only thing ready when the engine was started.

Leaving the mooring

I continued with the food prep while Ian steered FS which meant I missed the 'getting it wrong' at Kid's bridge. He reckons there was so much veg growth he couldn't see the bridge ole, I can't dispute that one way or another but rest assured I will be checking if this was the case on our return!

In the distance we spied Waka Huia, Marilyn was in the process of cleaning dog shit from Davids shoes! Another pet hate of mine...dog owners who refuse to pick up. She was understandably a little cross!


We pulled up behind Waka Huia, Marilyn was already there to grab the rope. First thing was tea and coffee followed by my pear and banana loaf and then Marilyn's hot (with lashings of butter) cheese scones. Another quick came of quiddler played while waiting for Ed to arrive before we left them too it.



Later Toffee was taken out. I found the disused Churnet Valley railway line to walk along. If you fancy a bit of history of this line click HERE Butterflies were flitting about and a buzzard called in the distance.






Ed left M&D about 5 ish, oven went on and I served dinner before 6. It all went down well, the plates were scrapped clean so I'm assuming the meal was a success. I also had my cake tin returned. At least half the banana and pear loaf had been inside said cake tin before I departed Waka Huia, that was now sorely depleted!  I suppose I shouldn't complain. They did leave enough cake for Ian and me to have a slice!


 


3 comments:

Alf said...

I'm thinking of knitting tiller pin warmers so that the mooring line can be stowed out of the way, would you be interested?

:-}

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

I might be Alf but I would like to see what the end product looks like. Xx

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Dinners have been delicious, no doubts about that!

Re the pear and banana cake - you were very lucky any of it came back because David had his eye on it and I had to tell him NO in very clear fashion.

Mxx

Blog Archive