About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday 17 March 2022

What one does just to find a swimming pool!

 Having looked long and hard to find something to do today, only 13 miles away was another NT house. I can almost hear the groans but hey ho, as members and wanting to get the most out of the membership, we headed off to Lanhydrock House and Gardens.

 As usual, I took loads of photos, and no doubt some of you in the past scrolled down to avoid them, so this time I have decided to put a link to my web album  and you now have the choice of whether you want to have a look or skip them completely. But don't think you will get away with not seeing any. Nop, I will put a few on here anyway.


l


If you did click on the link you will see this was one of the best presented NT houses seen in a long time. The detail of furnishings in every room, and there were many, was second to none. A must-visit place if you are in the Bodmin area. Needless to say we enjoyed wandering around the rooms, all self-guided, although there were staff around if you wanted to ask questions. 

The grounds were vast with several good walks ranging from 1.5 miles to just over 4 miles. We decided to do the easy walk and find the swimming pool. My knee was giving me gyp today so nothing strenuous was on my mind. 

 

Looks a lovely and easy stroll

But I hadn't planned on Ian's reaction when he found our way blocked by a fallen tree. 

 

That's the way to go.
l
Was there another way?


 His adventurous side came out and he was determined to find a route past, and the only way was by scrabbling over branches still attached to the trunk, as well as those scattered haphazardly over the ground. Crossing the trunk to avoid having to get one's feet wet as the brook ran underneath was a balancing act on my part, and then finding a route past all the mud and broken branches was also challenging. So much for my gentle walk of 1.5 miles!


The steps destroyed.

 


 I made it! phew

A  blooming great long hill to climb loomed ahead of us, the only way to get to a small field gate leading to yet another long incline before we finally found the pool! Was it worth it? Well actually yes. Although I struggled in places and that climb over the tree trunk challenged my balancing skills, I really enjoyed it.


Really steep and this was only half way! I'm taking a breather and looking back


Finally, the swimming pool

The hours walk turned into two and getting back to MB was a relief, more so because my knee was playing up something awful. Tablets taken to stop the pain and within 30 minutes we were back on the farm site. Tomorrow, the Lost Gardens of Helicon, our last planned excursion of this short holiday. On the way back to FS we will stop of for a night in Upton upon Severn to see Ian's brother, so tomorrow's post will be the last until we set off toward the Thames after Pie and Pea at Sandiacre lock cottages at the end of March. We also have the boat safety inspection to look forward to. Fingers crossed FS passes.

And wildlife,




No comments:

Blog Archive