About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday 10 March 2022

Ever seen how a cofferdam is put in place?

 No neither had we until CRT decided to inspect the paddle gear at the feeder. They arrived last Wednesday to install the scaffolding (I missed that bit but was told two burly guys entered the feeder in wetsuits,  promptly sunk into the silt up to their chests and struggled to manoeuvre cos that gloopy stuff kept grabbing at their boots). Anyway I did get the photos on the Thursday so feast your eyes on these.









p



















Will you look at all that silt! At least 3 foot of it!


Inspecting the paddle gear


I have to commend CRT for completing this in one day which meant the back pump could stay off. The water level in the basin dropped by a mere 3 inches

So now I know how it's done ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜€ and next time I see a cofferdam in place I will appreciate all the hard work that it took for those men to do the job.

Oh and we also went to a place in Leicestershire called Bradgate Park. Full of Deer, the scenery was stunning and the walks not too challenging. Put it this way, I managed a 4-mile walk without my knee giving giving up and clicking (although the next day boy did I know about it!)







No comments:

Blog Archive