About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday 22 March 2016

It's official!

I have become a pensioner!!! First pension payment in bank and a new shiny bus pass to boot. With Ian already having a bus pass, today we decided to stay at Shobnall field and take a bus from Burton (or two) to Swadlincote to visit Christine and Grandsons Josh and Thomas. Gosh it was a doddle especially as getting time tables, which bus stands to use and which bus to get, was all done on line!  Proof though, that I was a bus pass virgin because I had no idea what to do with it. Knew it had to be put somewhere and I was soon put straight when he pointed to an area where the card had to be placed. I dutifully did as I was told only to be told off because I had removed the card to soon! Hey ho...we did have a laugh with him though and even the pensioners on the bus gave us a knowing smile. Still I know what I'm doing now and quite looking forward to using it again.

Back on FS the fire was quickly stoked, thank goodness it was still alight. Still have to get more coal so becoming a bit frugal with how much we put on. May try the boat yard at Shobnall tomorrow morning if it's open early enough then onwards to Alrewas and the butchers for the best meat on the T&M.

Took this selfie whilst trying out a tripod given to me by our son. There is a bit less of me now as I have managed to lose over a stone. Still got a way to go but amazed how much better I feel. As for my hip and back problems....not gone completely but by not carrying the extra weight the improvement is vast.


These photos taken at dusk last night. Spring is here at last.




2 comments:

Carol said...

Welcome to the bus-pass brigade - have pass, will travel. Enjoy1

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Well done on reaching bus pass status as well as losing the weight - David and I have found that it certainly makes a difference to ankles, knees, hips and back since we started the 5:2 the day before we met you on the Thames just below Cleeve Lock.
Being lighter will make a big difference on your NZ trip - you'll be able to enjoy more of it in a very mobile fashion.
Cheers, M&D

Blog Archive