About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Saturday 26 January 2013

The last snow dump of this cold spell

For once the weather forecasters were spot on. Snow started falling around 5 pm and by the time we went to bed at least 2" had accumulated on top of the boat. Then this morning, when Ian went to take Jade out, he struggled to open the back doors. Even sliding back the hatch cover was a momentous effort on his part. As this picture shows we must have had at least 4-5" and with the temperatures plummeting to -3 we had ice to contend with as well.




The main road through Langley Mill was covered in snow and black ice. No wonder there was hardly any traffic noise. All the cars were traveling exceptionally slowly for once. Shame it cant be like that every morning. Although this is a good mooring, the noise is the only downside to our stay here.

Strangely quiet


I've taken a few more pictures of this morning picturesque scene.The canal was beginning to thaw out yesterday but the falling temperature over night caused a refreeze. This could be the last snow of the winter so I thought I would make the most of it.



 On exiting Langley Bridge, there right in front of me and playing around in the only bit of unfrozen canal, was those ducks I asked to be identified a week or so ago. I noticed yesterday morning one Mergancer male on the water. ( black and white ) Seems like he has been joined by another 3 males and 2 females.




Trudging through the snow was heavy going and even Jade kept sinking to her chest but we persevered and got some more photos of wildlife, some of which I will post as my daily pictures. I did get a lovely photo of some blackheaded gulls chilling out on the snow and their attemps to land without slipping.



Through the wood



Shame that the freeze has had to end. I loved the fact that the boat stayed clean. No muddy paws from Jade to contend with and how pretty everywhere looked. Downside is the struggle for our wildlife and the fact that I have slipped and fallen more times then I care to think about. One fall resulting in a rather painful right knee. So it's back to dull, dismal and wet conditions again. Roll on spring!

Looking a bit cold

4 comments:

jill, Contented Souls said...

Irene, I've only just found you through your comments on my blog - better late than never! Your photos are sensational; I take it that you are/have been a professional photographer.
I wish we'd had you around to take some pics for us on the Little Ouse
Best Wishes,

Anonymous said...

Just to say your birds are goosanders (nor mergansers). Love the photographs.

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hello Jill,

Thank you so much for your lovely comment. I only took up photography when I started this blog in 2006 and my first attempts were quite abysmal. Since I bought my Panasonic Lumix and found a great program on the web called Paintshop, my photos have come on in leaps and bounds. I am still amazed by your photos of the Kingfisher, the one bird I am desperate to get a good photo of. Lets hope that one day our paths will cross and then we can stop and have a drink together. Until that day, happy cruising.

Irene

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hello to anonymous,

Thank you for your comment. It's a shame you didn't put your name as I do love to know who I'm replying to. I did look on the web to see if you were right and I found this write up.

Common Merganser
The Common Merganser or Goosander is a large duck, of rivers and lakes of forested areas of Europe, northern and central Asia, and North America. It eats fish and nests in holes in trees.

So it appears we were both correct.

Irene

Blog Archive