About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday 17 January 2013

Help!!! Can anyone identify these birds?

I don't think these birds are from Britain. I cant find anything about them in my bird books or on the web so could they be winter visitors? Only two males and three females ( I am assuming the colourful bird is a male ) were present on the lake at Shipley Country park in Derbyshire.






Tufted duck






2 comments:

GooseandGander(with pets) said...

Hi there, the top one is a Common Merganser and the bottom one is a Hooded Merganser.

Jenny from NB Goosander

PS: I don't blog but enjoy those of you who do.

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hi Jenny,
Your a star:} Thanks. Looks like I got the male and female mixed up. Easy mistake to make as most males are the colourful ones.
Hope your nice and snug in this cold weather and all set for the next batch of snow.
Hope to meet one day on our travels,

Irene


Blog Archive