About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday 1 November 2011

Good deed for the day

So here I am, still  meeting more bloggers. This time it was More 2 Life moored at Sutton Bridge on the Coventry.  In all the years I have blogged I can truly say this is the first time I have met so many bloggers all in one area. Greetings to you all!!! I'm just sorry that I haven't been able to stop and have a good natter. As we approached Balls Bridge an awful pong permeated through the air. We came across a pig farm which must have housed hundreds of piglets at various stages in their development. I was extremely impressed by how they were looked after. Plenty of decent bedding and the piglets all appeared to be running around and playing.



One of many pens.
 Not long after I came across this Guy ready to be burnt on November 5th. I do so hate fireworks night!! Usually we moor somewhere way out from civilisation so that the poor dog can get some peace but this time it looks as if we will be back at Sandiacre on the Erewash, right in the heart of all those whizzes and bangs!!

 So now to my good deed. As we arrived in Hopwas we came across a boat, NB Wilderness, that, to put it plainly, was going at a snails pace. In fact we had to keep putting our boat in neutral as we kept catching it up. We passed another boat that was just mooring and they told us that they had to resort to blowing their horn to make the lady at the helm aware that they wanted to pass. Anyway she looked behind and saw that we were right behind her and, give her her due, she moved over to let us pass. That's when the trouble started. As we crept passed we noticed that she was listing alarmingly. Now the water levels are very low at the moment and sure enough she got herself stuck fast. So as the good Samaritans that we are we pulled over to offer our assistance. It turned out that not only was she a lone boater but this was her first brand new boat built to her specifications and today was the first time she had taken it out. She was on her way to her moorings at Tewksbury Marina on the River Avon!!!!! She admitted to having taken a boat handling course a few days ago, but was still very unsure of how she was going to moor the boat up tonight. After Ian had managed to get her off the mud, I offered to come on board and be with her when she arrived at Whittington and help her moor up for the night. I found out her name was Fiona and that she was 70!!!! What on earth was she thinking of boating for the first time at her age. All I can say is 'Good on you girl!!  She seemed relieved and ever so grateful that I offered to help her. Her boat handling wasn't to bad but mooring was a real worry for her. Once we arrived I showed her how to get into a mooring and also how to secure the boat. Makes me wonder if she took in all that the instructor had told her on her course.


I'm standing on the gunwale of NB Wilderness. Fiona is at the helm.
 .

Finally moored at Whittington.
   I really hope that one day our path will cross again. She is an inspiration to me and I hope that when I'm her age I will also be as fit and able minded as she is.

1 comment:

Jo Lodge said...

Good on that woman. She has certainly taken on a huge thing at her age, but if you able bodied, fit and of a sound mind, it can be done. I guess the proof for her will be over the winter, but if she is going into a marina, she should be fine. Glad to see all is well with you both at the moment. Hugsssss Jo xx

Blog Archive