About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday 24 May 2011

Tit in a hole

Today we left Branston with some difficulty as the wind was holding us well and truly on the side. Eventually with Ian reversing and me with the pole pushing away from the bank at the front we got underway. Our plan was to wind round as soon as we could but the first convenient place was above Barton Turns lock at the Marina. For once the wind aided us in our maneuver and we made it back to the lock before anyone had time to turn it around. Ian wanted to paint the gunwale and we had noticed a good mooring by Branston lock, By 11.30am we were again moored, and after making sure the TV worked okay, out came the sanding sheets, paint and brushes. Probably not the best day to paint because the wind hadn't eased at all, but with even stronger winds tomorrow and for the rest of the week, Ian decided to go for it. A lot of cussing came from him as bits of grass and flying insects stuck to the paint but once started he had to finish. While he was busy I got my rod out again and as I sat fishing noticed the tree opposite seemed to have lot of chirping noise coming from it. Suddenly a blue tit appeared and entered a small hole in the tree.  I like a bit of a challenge so I decided to see if I could get a picture of the blue tit coming out. As you can see I did manage it eventually but it came out a bit blurry. I'm quite glad that the camera is digital as I would have used a lot of film getting the shot.
Here I am....

I also noticed something on this mooring that didn't quite seem right. I wonder if you can spot it?

.

2 comments:

Martin said...

Umm... the mooring starts where the mowing stops!

Jo Lodge said...

Hi Both... The title of this posting will get you many new admirers lol.
Love the blue tit photo, I spent a lot of time doing the same thing a couple of weeks ago whilst at Welford and got some cracking pics.
Ummmm someone needs to tell BW that the sign is the wrong way round, either that the grass cutters have mown the wrong part hahaha.

Blog Archive