About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Saturday 15 July 2023

It's you experienced boaters that are the worst!

 So glad we sat it out and didn't move yesterday. The rain fell all day although Ian's weather app on the phone said it would be dry from midday to 3 pm! Well that was very wrong! So what did we do all day? Not a lot was the answer. A chill out day and yes it did turn a tad chilly. I tried getting warm by adding extra clothing, Ian as usual was still in a T Shirt (That man is not normal!) Anyway in the end the heating went on, for mid-July it's blooming ridiculous! 

We kept in touch with Marilyn and David, they had problems with their battery, the engine wouldn't start so it was a good job they were still at King's Orchard Marina. Luckily a very nice man with his charger got it going so they could move on. Hire boaters were due back so staying at the marina was out of the question. Instead of mooring on the towpath they braved the weather and made it to the top of Shadehouse Lock in Fradley. The plan now was for us to leave early on Saturday and meet them there the next morning.

The wind had picked up by the time we left. Earlier than normal for us but two things were in our favour. One was Hunt's Lock, (empty and all ready for us to go in) and the other a very early message from Marilyn to say they would walk down the flight and help us up.

Our first essential stop though was at the facilities. Somehow we had managed to fill two cassettes and the third was also nearly full. Situation was critical! It was here that we met up with the McDonald's! Not the sweetest time to meet, what with the smell and all that. Anyway hugs all round, David and Ian walked to Junction Lock and Marilyn kept me company on FS.


Heading to Keepers lock

Junction lock in the distance and the facilities by the orange flag

See that chap on the bridge? Well he was the one who gave me grief! Read on and you will know why. That's David doing the hard work at the Junction Lock



On our way to Middle lock a boat happened to have come from the junction and turned left so he was first in line for the lock. As I usually do if I can, I hovered in the middle waiting until it was my turn. Right by the lock landing  (not on it) was a residential boat. This is a pig of a landing with that boat there as well as a very high bank. I do find it difficult to get off to hold the rope. Anyway that boat owner gave me some grief. "Why don't you go onto the landing" said he. I replied I didn't need to and was more than happy to wait in the middle. Through a forced smile he said it was those boaters who think they can stay in the middle they are the ones that ALWAYS hit the moored boats. Well.....Marilyn and I both put our two pennyworth in by saying we were nowhere near his boat and that I had plenty of experience in boat handling to know when I should go onto the landing. "But you so-called experienced boaters are the worst" said he "Thinking you know best". There was no telling him. His boat didn't look as if it had been looked after and he had that many fenders on the side to be well and truly OTT!  The wind was blowing, FS never moved toward his or any other boat I sailed into the lock without hitting anything. I really felt like putting two fingers up at him but I'm too ladylike to do anything of the sort! 


That chaps boat is the one with the white handrail. You can just make out all those fenders!
 

We got moored at the top of Shadehouse lock, it was here that Ian helped David fit the new battery. Yep they had to resort to buying another as their existing one still wouldn't start the engine. We were then welcomed on board for Marilyn's famous cheese scones and a small bowl of vegetable chilli. What a strange thing to have at 10 am in the morning but wow it went down well with those scones. Next plan was to set off for Handsacre. Now I know Marilyn will say something completely different in her blog about setting off when we did, but trust me the only thing I mentioned was the strength of the wind. I said we could manage very well, after all, only Woodend lock to do before reaching Handsacre. 



Talk about wrong moment! No sooner had we pushed away from the bank and the heavens opened. The drops were huge, within seconds everything including us were soaked, I just about grabbed the brolly but even under that I got no respite, the drops bounced back after hitting the roof! Marilyn looked very bedraggled. I got this as it eased and she steered around a bend. Thankfully by the time we arrived at Woodend Lock it had stopped.




During the rest of the journey rain fell intermittently. Marilyn phoned to say they had found a good stretch of mooring for both the boats and we all got moored before the next lot of rain fell. We left Marilyn and David doing an oil change, Marilyn again down the engine hole, it's a good job she is slim and agile enough to do it! That last photo of mine. Marilyn will hate it!!! I think it's rather fetching. ๐Ÿ˜‚







Tomorrow we head for Rugeley, another food and wine stop is necessary. I'm amazed how long I have eked out 4 bottles since the Morrisons shop several days ago. No I am not going T Total!



2 comments:

Lisa said...

My David loves also to loiter mid canal prior to going into locks. Sometimes he pops in to put the kettle on, he has NEVER hit another boat.

If that were my boat right next to a lock landing, being moved backward and forward all day with the water moving I think I'd move moorings.
He chose that one and he can suck it up.

Lisa
NB WaL

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

I am happy to be photographed working even if I do look like a startled owl... - I note that I did call for you to come and fulfil your role as paparazzi. However, I am not sure why I had to call you - you should have been there already - especially when I had contorted myself to get down into the engine bay to take off and replace the oil filter. But are there photos of that feat of agility? No, there are not!
It's been a fun day all round - thank you,
Mxx

Blog Archive