About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Saturday 26 March 2016

Pretty quiet for Easter

What a miserable Easter Saturday. In fact so awful that no one seems to have ventured out and only 6 boats have passed by us all day. Two came into moor late afternoon, during the heaviest of the rain storm and I did so feel sorry for them as they tried to moor. Made me glad we stayed where we were. And looks like we will be staying tomorrow as Christine, Kev and the grandchildren will be paying us a visit to celebrate my birthday. Good job the Dog and Doublet can accommodate another 4 for dinner.

But first, back to this morning, I was hoping to go walkabout but the wind picked up and drizzle started so I decided to wait for a lull before setting out, and sure enough by mid morning conditions improved. I took myself off to the water park, dressed to the nines in wet weather gear including a plastic bag to protect my camera. Having taken the wrong route and, what should have been a half a mile walk to the entrance, I ended up walking well over a mile through forest paths and it was more by luck than judgement that I came across the lakes.

Really windy but the sailors enjoyed the conditions


Hardly anyone about but the attractions had to open. The train seemed popular but I did feel for the guy hoping to give donkey rides.



No one on the Swan pedal boats
I didn't stay that long especially as the rain started again and that wind...enough to take your breath away. Coming back was much easier....I asked at the cafe and they pointed me the right direction. On my return still no boats moored by us, most unusual for an Easter Saturday. The wind picked up even more and we had proper waves on the canal. So fire was stoked and while Ian re-siliconed the shower where the mould had appeared, I sat watching films on TV.

We think the boat at the back of us belongs to the pub as it's always moored here.
So just a few photos to show of this mornings walk.



Jay




2 comments:

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

In NZ your birthday has started, so Happy Birthday, Irene.
Cheers, Marilyn and David

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thank you Marilyn and David. Next year I will be celebrating it in Auz with my twin brother, the first birthday shared together in over 30 years! Xxx

Blog Archive