Just found this on FB https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/6795/ea-shardlow-flood-gates
The Pie and Pea do at the lock cottage Sandiacre is on the 11th and 12th March and usually quite a few boats arrive from Shardlow. Unfortunately with the work starting on Sunday 13th at 6am, even if those visiting boats could get to the event, returning would be a problem. We had also planned to leave for the BCNS Spring cruise (being held on the 2nd April) and have a leisurely cruise to Brum. Trouble with the work not finishing until the 22nd March, loads of boats will have come off the River Trent at Derwent Mouth to find the journey ahead blocked. Boaters would be forced to moor opposite the sewage works. Not the most pleasant place to stop if the wind is in the wrong direction!. Not only that but I can imagine the mad exodus once the work is completed. 10 days seems plenty of time to make the Spring cruise but queuing at locks could cause us a problem. What a shame the EA couldn't start the closure on the Monday rather then the Sunday. One of the ECP&DA members has put themselves forward to phone the EA and try to resolve this. We await the outcome.
- Ian and Irene Jameison
- In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.
- Black cats not always lucky
- It must have been a shock to a returning boater.
- C&RT's less agreeable jobs and that was one big bl...
- A couple of hazards to contend with.
- Another beauty spot desecrated by an unwanted rail...
- Pretty quiet for Easter
- The day did start well....honest!
- We meet at last.
- When needs must.
- It's official!
- Two bloggers in one day.
- Police presence in Sawley and we get second place ...
- Volunteer duty done and dusted
- Stoppage finished and we get away.
- First lock finally started on the Derby canal.
- A dash by one boater to beat the stoppage.
- To much rich food, me thinks!
- This time it's the rising water levels that scuppe...
- Fishing line and birds....not a good combination.
- Amazing what is seen in the canal.
- Blast the EA
- ▼ March (21)
- ► 2015 (271)
- ► 2014 (301)
- ► 2013 (384)
- ► 2012 (354)
- ► 2011 (250)
- ► 2010 (293)