About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday, 26 June 2015

High banks, ants nests and wasps make for difficult mooring.

View from the weir bridge at Abingdon

Well I did need it, a haircut that is and traveling with a self taught hairdresser the only payment required was a slice of my chocolate cake! Heather thought it best to do the cutting on the Thames Path much to the delight of the passers by and boaters. A great job was done and very much appreciated. Thanks Heather.

Not sure if this is wise!!!

'Now what can I do with the top' says Heather
We found Wetherspoons without problem, down the high street and on the site of an old Post Office. Curry night on Thursdays so Dave and I just had to have the Madras with Heather choosing the Korma and Ian the Mexican Burrito. Loved the design of their loo doors. Post office red with yellow telephones as handles, but why are all Wetherspoon,s toilets upstairs????

Leaving much later then normal this morning because a shop at Waitrose was necessary, we eventually got underway well after 11am. I had time to bake another cake, coffee and walnut this time just right for coffee later this afternoon.

Clifton lock
After Clifton Lock we started to look for moorings. Still early, 2ish, but knowing how infrequent moorings were on this part of the Thames and also being a Friday, the cruisers would no doubt be arriving for their weekend jaunt so it seemed the right thing to do. We tried several places along the way but either the banks were impossibly high or the one mooring we did get in, Dave put his stake right through an ants nest and then got mobbed by wasps!

Dave attempting to get moored before abandoning the attempt. Ants and wasps do not make a good combination.

Leaving to wind round rather rapidly.
We then stopped at a hotel near Shillingford. Lovely long mown stretch of mooring with electric hookup. Ian went to inquire at the price. At £15 for the night we pulled pins and decided to head for Benson lock where we knew we could pay £9 to moor. A lady lock keeper was on and beckoned us intp the open lock. Not wanting to go through I had a quick word to see if we could stay on the 24 hour mooring. She was in a bit of dilemma because a work barge was moored on there, so instead she allowed us to stay on the opposite lock landing moorings for the night and the bonus.....there was to be no charge. What a great result. As a thank you I took over a piece of my coffee and walnut cake.

Moored at Benson lock
 And no sooner had we moored when this baby rabbit and moth appeared. If the rain ever stops (only just started) then a walk round to the weir is in order.

Cinnabar Moth

And wildlife on route

This Tern was having 40 winks

Then became instantly awake and started hunting

No comments:

Blog Archive