About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Wednesday 5 November 2014

Could have told us earlier!

Hmmmm....... Been let down big time by the publishing company we used for our Society's magazine.  You may remember we were asked earlier this year to become the new editors of the Outlook  In the past all the photos were in black and white and Howard (chairman) wanted us to come into the 21st century with colour photos. We hunted round and found a publisher in this area that would do a 24 page booklet for around £200. So we had 200 printed and had no end of praise on the look and content of the magazine. For the last 6 weeks Ian has worked hard on producing the next edition. 2 days ago it went to the printer. We thought no more about it until we got the phone call saying they had undercharged us last time and the actual price would be nearer £400. Talk about a blow! Now what to do???? Panic mode set in!!! Needed the magazine out by next Wednesday and our only option was to phone the original publishers 10 miles away ( the ones before we took over) and ask if they could possibly help us out. After being on tenterhooks waiting for them to phone us back with a price, they eventually agreed to print the magazine for under £300.  And to top it all we can collect by Tuesday of next week. We may be using them in future as a good deed deserves our loyalty.


I mentioned the Kingfisher was still in the area a couple of days ago and it seems he is fishing the top end of the Erewash canal so excellent for me and the camera. This morning I caught another glimpse and followed him down the canal until I got near enough to take these photos. The last two pictures of the Kingfisher have been edited. With me shooting on shutter priority my ISO is set very high. (over 800) Consequently I get what is called digital noise and my paintshop program removes this for me. Makes the photos a bit nicer to view. I was also lucky enough to see a tree creeper which doesn't happen very often I can tell you.



before digital noise removal
And after




No comments:

Blog Archive