About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday, 27 August 2013

Not the best place for a boat to sink.

The day didn't start well. I was tired after a restless night. No idea why I woke early as outside noise wasn't the problem, but I woke in the wee hours of the morning and couldn't get back to sleep for ages. So after finally drifting off, waking late this morning made me fuzzy headed and consequently I wasn't at my most alert when we got to the first lock of the day. A boat was coming down so I pulled onto the landing. Ian went off to help and once the boat had left I pushed off and got on board. I noticed an awful whiff as I entered the lock and realised it was coming from me!! Looking down at the back counter I discovered to my horror dog shit ( no apologies for using that word ) everywhere.  I usually look about when I alight just to make sure no dog poo is lying around and I was unaware that I had stepped in it. I called out to Ian to wait and not fill the lock while I removed my sandals and grabbed the mop to swab down the back deck. I was fuming about the inconsiderate morons who allowed their dogs to foul and not pick up after it. I know I have ranted about this before and I still believe the majority of culprits are locals. Most boat owners are sensible and pick up knowing the consequences. Anyway now that I have again had a rant ( I'll soon be known as Mrs Winger ) we soon got underway and my black mood began to lift. Above Fishery lock I noticed what I thought was a loose rowing boat. It was actually attached but by heck it was on a long tether. One day the boat will be hit and that will be another sunken boat for C&RT to deal with. Talking of which......

Coming up to Winkwell lock a craft was moored just before the lock. Chuntering away to myself about people with no brains leaving a boat on the landing, making it difficult for crew to get off and operate the lock, I suddenly realised the boat was listing. Getting nearer it was obvious why. Doesn't float very well with water in the bilges! Hopefully C&RT have been informed as this one definitely needs to be removed.

 We actually had a swing bridge to do. I always leave Ian to do those that need to stop the traffic cause he just loves making the cars wait and I have issues with operating these in case I get it wrong.

Winkwell Swing Bridge

 We traveled all of 2 miles, did a total of 5 locks and then stopped for lunch. Afterwards we decided not to carry on but stay and enjoy the sunshine. Gave Ian an opportunity to get the chainsaw out and cut the branches we gathered into manageable pieces.

These gates could do with a good weeding!!!

Yet another Heron but plastic this time.
Above Winkwell lock 59

And finally:-



James and Debbie said...

If the sunken boat is a little push tug size boat it has been there since early may. CaRT couldn't give a rats arse at the moment unless its about visitor moorings or over staying charges. As you come up the GU towards Stoke Bruerne don't plan on staying too long, its all 48hrs from well before the locks to the tunnel. I'm going to start copying in local MP's to my CaRT correspondence to see if that speeds things up a bit.

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hi James and Debbie,

It was the push tug and I'm shocked that it has been there since May. C&RT should be ashamed of themselves for not doing something about it!!! As far as Stoke Bruerne is concerned, we may have to change our mooring plans. Why make it only 48 hours? I can appreciate the logic of that between the tunnel and Stoke Bruerne top lock but not from below onwards. We never found it full of boats in all the years we have been traveling there. Sometimes I despair when I hear of C&RT's plans!!

Elly and Mick said...

Awesome wildlife pics today!

Jo (Boatwoman) said...

That little tug was there when we went down to London in February, it has been reported, but it maybe worth reporting it again. I explained to them how difficult it is to get on and off your boat with it on the lock landing, I was hoping it would have been gone by now, but clearly not.
You rant away about the dog poop, it is driving me mad. Roll on October I say (Wink, Wink) xxxxxxxx

Blog Archive