Wind picked up overnight, FS bounced most annoyingly but neither of us could be inclined to get out of a warm bed to sort out the ropes and then when the rain started well....need I say any more?
In spite of all that it was well past 7.30am when we woke properly and after the first cup of tea decided with a lull in the weather we would get up, have breakfast and go.
|Cosgrove lock in the distance|
So Cosgrove lock was empty...yea...no battling with the wind. And further to our good fortune, a boat arrived which meant Ian could leave the gate open and get back on board,
We sailed past the facilities, with more at Stoke Bruerne bottom lock, thought we may as well do the cassettes there.
|facility block on the right|
Then just past the fancy Cosgrove bridge the rain started. One of us had to stay and steer, Ian volunteered, I didn't object! So for nearly all the 5 miles to Stoke Bruerne Bottom lock Ian did battle with the wind and rain.
|Plenty of leaves again|
|Proper waves today|
And just when a lull occurred I got kitted up to relieve him of helmsman duties. Ha, timed that well didn't I as the last 15 minutes until reaching the lock the weather stayed dry.
We stayed on the facility mooring for lunch. I know, smack my hand but there was no one about. No boat movement at all so didn't feel guilty one little bit. With the weather greatly improved after lunch we headed up the flight. All the locks were against, two had water flowing over the bottom gates probably because the top gates had been left open. Never mind, Ian walked on at each lock to set the next leaving me to finish off ascending, drop paddles and sidle out just in time for him to return and close the gates after me. All worked very well and soon we came to the long pound between lock 16 and 15, this was to be our stopping point for tonight.
And growing on one of the lock beams,
Three hours we travelled today, no wonder we are exhausted! 😉