The next step was to inform Southern Rail that we would be cancelling the Ghan trip. But before we even had time to pick up the phone an announcement came from the hotel manager that the train was still in Adelaide and would not be travelling to Darwin. Thank goodness we had made that decision and booked the flight because now several of our fellow passengers, all from different states, had a task on their hands to also find a return flight.
Flight back to Sydney was good, again not all the seats were taken. One concern was a woman sitting in a row in front kept coughing so I hope that the reports are true about this virus not being airborne. Our hand sanitiser was in constant use!
Back at Sydney and Ian went to check on our flight back to the UK on the 30th. Flying Emirates we found to our dismay that flight was also cancelled! This makes the third time we have had to rearrange a flight, all at a considerable cost to ourselves. Oh yes, we will get a refund from the airlines but that can take weeks! Both of us were by now despairing that we would get home. We tried every day up to the 31st of March with the only flight showing up at a reasonable price (and I'm talking $2000 each) was for the 28th flying Quantus to Johannesburg and then BA to Heathrow. (other airlines wanted over $6000!) This flight we have booked and is our very last chance to return to the UK. If this one is cancelled then goodness knows how long we will be in Australia.
So this may well be my last post for a while. I'm hoping the next time a write will be from the UK but with our luck on this trip, I'm not holding my breath!
|Lock Gate Darwin Harbour|
Some photos of our trip the Litchfield.
|Florence Falls and the swimming hole|
|The Creek above the falls|
|Ian, Andy (Bruv) and Sally at Wangi Falls|
|Magnetic Termite mounds. These are always built North to South hence the name.|