About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday 5 August 2016

My sense of direction is zilch.

Work started on the building site at 7.30am which I suppose is normal for the building trade. Where we were moored was not ideal being near to a bend but made worse because of the overhanging bushes. Boats couldn't see past us and we were in danger in getting hit so we pulled pins and moved nearer to the bridge. But it also meant we were nearer to the building site and the noise!

I had to go for a walk especially as the lakes beckoned. Not just one (Branston water park) but another by Branston lock. Leaving after lunch, 3 hours later I returned! Got myself lost and only by more luck then judgement that I found my way back. The annoying bit was I could see Branston lock but couldn't get to it. I had crossed it earlier and took the path round the second lake and from that point got myself lost. Another path took me in totally the wrong direction away from the canal and it was finding a small wooden bridge over a brook that brought back a distant memory of taking Jade for a walk two years ago. Sure enough following that, through a field full of horses, over another wooden bridge and I ended up back at The Bridge Inn. And there was FS moored opposite. Got back just in time because the rain started big time and even a boater stopped under the bridge for 10 minutes waiting for the outburst to stop.


Quarry
 This was a bit bizarre. While I was watching the geese the water starting bubbling up from under that yellow thing and suddenly all the geese started coming in. Where the water came from or was going I have no idea. There was a sign warning the public that to trespass could result in death 'Beware of the quicksand' it said. The geese seemed to like the liquid though.
Add caption

Water started bubbling









The rain didn't last too long and that evening we had a meal in the Bridge Inn. More of an Italian restaurant and some of the pricing was a bit steep, but the food was plentiful and delicious. Met a lovely New Zealand couple over here on a holiday. They love that our pound is low!!! Got a few tips of where to go and see when we go over later this year. Something we are soooo looking forward to. No doubt you will here all about our travels when we leave in October.

And seen on the walk,








No comments:

Blog Archive