About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Wednesday, 13 January 2016

Thumbs up for the NHS

Suddenly realised I'm a bit behind with the blog. Mind you, with nothing untoward happening at the Mill there has not been a lot to blog about. Having spent many a weekend since Christmas and New year visiting family and friends, it's good to be back on FS to get those little jobs done. Cleaning the chimney was a necessity as getting smoked out every time we opened the door was most unpleasant. The coal and wood needed restocking and Ian cleaned our diesel tank by siphoning the diesel into containers and then straining it back into the tank . No water was found thank goodness, just a bit of crud lying in the bottom.

We had a visit from Tom a C&RT bod with several men in tow. Ian wandered down to see what it was all about and was told that a contract was being organised for dealing with the the vegetation  (grass cutting, hedges, trees etc) to improve the look of the Erewash. They took great interest in the basin but it was made plain to the amenities contractor that the basin was not to be touched as  ECP&DA look after this area and make a very good job if it too. So, with the life jackets on and armed with clip board they headed off down the canal to make notes. What the out come will be no doubt we will find out in time.

Hospital appointment for me today to see the spinal consultant. These pins and needles I get down both legs are a right pain. Very glad  the appointment wasn't  for yesterday as no doubt this would have been cancelled due to the strike. I'm in total agreement with these doctors, the hours they work are a joke so good luck to them. Just a bit of a bummer if you had an out patient appointment or waiting for a procedure yesterday. Anyway, never have I been so impressed with a consultant (apart from Ian's) as Mr Sadar. He took time to explain what he had found, showed both of us the MRI scans and booked me straight in on Friday for a steroid injection in the 5th vertebra nerve. He also said I had a protruding disc and if the injection didn't work would operate.As he didn't want me to have to wait too long he has put me on the waiting list (should take no more then a couple of months wait)  just in case the injection doesn't work. Now that is the NHS at it's best.

The weather has been to bad for me to go walking (pain in the hip and leg doesn't help) so these photos are of my visit to brother and sister in law last weekend. More on my wildlife blog if you fancy a look.


No comments:

Blog Archive