About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Sunday 12 September 2010

Not another loose boat!!!!!

We stayed at Stoke Bruern for a couple of days. Ian gave the gunwale another coat of paint and then re varnished the windows in the lounge. I fished. We left on Saturday 11th, stopped at Wolverton to stock up with supplies at Tesco and then found a tackle shop so I could buy more bait. We moved onwards and decided that, as we needed a good place to stop so I could get my telly, Gifford Park was as good as any. We had just moored up when I noticed the boat in front drifting out. Ian again came to the rescue expecting his pin to be pulled out, but no, the owner of the boat had tied his rope to his windless and shoved that between the cladding. No wonder it had come adrift. As the weather was good Ian decided to take all the bedroom window surrounds out and re varnish them. I fished.
That evening I had a shower. All was well. Then I washed our nets in the bath. All was not well!! As I pumped the water from the bath a horrible noise started to come from the pump and the water refused to flow away. Ian to the rescue again and after taking the pump apart discovered all the teeth had broken from the impeller. Somehow a small stone had made its way through the pump shattering all the blades. ( Must be when we washed the dogs feet!!) So no spares on the boat. Nearest Chandlers was a day away and one very dirty Ian because he couldn't have his shower. So glad I had already had mine. Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Blog Archive