About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday 14 November 2023

Coincidence or threes?

So the idea of things happening in threes has a lot of people poo, pooing the idea and I can understand when separate unfortunate things occur.  Some say it's just coincidence but I say poppycock to that. What with the collision yesterday and a further two today, well one begins to wonder.

The day started so well, Setting off earlier than normal and with very few moored boats to slow us down, FS achieved a good 3.5 to 4 mph. One boat was passed, the rope was being held and I don't think he expected a boat to appear from around a bend. Anyway I managed to pass on tickover and once the revs could be increased again that boat was a long distant memory. All I can say is thank goodness we weren't stuck behind it. The going would have been very slow. 

Now I except boating is a leisurely affair, and as such the canals are to be enjoyed. My argument for getting to Hillmorton as quickly as possible was that this part of the Oxford Canal is boring! We have travelled this way at least 4 times since leaving Langley Mill back in June, and the long straight bits with very little to look at is nothing but monotonous. 

 

But of course the canal does go through bridges and some on coming boats not seen until the last minute.

 

It was at another of the bridges (79 I think) that we met Nick on the Fuel boat!

I had the bridge, FS’s bow had already nosed in when suddenly the bow of a working boat appeared on the other side. Both went into reverse but Nick still a yard or two from the bridge hole waved me on. I unfortunately was now well over to the left with the stern rubbing along the edge of the bridge copings. Nick signalled for me to pass on the right which was the correct side to pass, I would have preferred to pass on the left because Nick was passing a moored boat and well over to the offside and when Nick pointed his bow to his right, even with my tiller hard to the left we couldn't avoid each other and contact was made!

Nick is a lovely chap who knows us quite well, so with a cheesy grins and then pleasantries past we continued on our way with no real harm done to either boats. 

Hillmorton was reached, a boat was just exiting the top lock, great as I could go straight in. No volunteers on this flight, I didn't really expect any as most will stop at the end of October. Down the flight of three with only the bottom lock to be filled then it was off to Rugby and hopefully find a mooring.





I dropped Ian off before the moorings started to see if anything nearer to Tesco was available. The towpath was just one great muddy mess and I felt for Ian as he tried to pick his way through. Having lost sight of him I eventually get a phone call to say a mooring was found by the road bridge, blooming good job too because the bit of drizzle in the air turned into a full-blown shower. 



So this is where the third slight collision occurred. A cruiser was moored, I was just passing it when the chap let go of his rope, stepped back on board and drove straight into FS’s side! For goodness’s sake, had he not seen me? He did apologise though and I blamed the sudden downpour for his rapid departure from the bankside onto his boat to get into the dry. 






So yesterday's tunnel collision, today's contact with the working boat at the bridge and the cruiser running into FS, what are the the chances of the exact same thing happening for two days in a row. Yep I still believe things happen in threes!

And wildlife





5 comments:

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Barby Straight, Irene? Hasn't Ian re-located it??

And the 3 collisions: you are the common factor, sweetheart, so it's not coincidence so much as you are losing your touch ...

Mxx

Wed Nov 15, 01:50:00 am

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Sorry Marilyn I deleted your comment by mistake. Luckily I saved it first so you will now see my name above your message.


And yes Ian still swears blind Barby Straight is on the other side of Hillmorton heading towards Rugby, so yes it's been relocated! and no...I'm not losing my touch, it's always the other person's fault never mine...you must have realised that. ;)

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

It may be the other person's fault each time (not!) but you are always the common denominator ...

I think Barby Straight could do with being cut into pieces and spread out a bit - perhaps some of it could be put on the South Oxford, don't you think? And just for Ian, we could put part of it between Hillmorton and Rugby.

Mxx

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Ha ha, I will mention that to Ian,

Xxx

Blog Archive