About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday 1 August 2023

Jobs worth!

 31st July

 Monday morning we were up early. I was determined to be at the Cumberland Doctor's surgery when it opened at 8.30. Ian had walked it yesterday, it only took him 10 minutes but I added another 5 minutes to the time, my pace isn't quite as fast these days! 8.10am we were on our way. Toffee with us, she doesn't like being left on her own  We found that to our cost when we popped into Morrisons several days ago and the bed had to be completely remade as she must have decided to use it as a trampoline! And she barks incessantly, we heard that from quite a way away. Anyway before we joined the road she met another dog, a lovely Scottish Terrier and all she wanted to do was play! Time was marching on and now speed was of the essence. 8.29am and I was outside the surgery door. Phew!!!

There are those who are happy to bend the rules slightly and there are those that won't be swayed no matter what you say. The receptionist was of the latter! Registration was no problem, what was, was my lack of any ID. I said I was happy to go back to the boat and return with said ID but in the meantime could she make an appointment. The answer was a resounding no. Without something to prove who I was she was powerless to do anything. For goodness sake, would it have hurt for her to pencil me in at a given time this morning? So I asked, "Will I still be able to get an appointment today." "Only if we have any appointments left" came her reply. "We could see you tomorrow though". Well, I came away fuming. I know it was my fault for not bringing any ID, I had with me my Nat Ins number and NHS number but no bloody ID! So a 15-min walk back to FS, grab my driving licence and bus pass, both just to make doubly sure one would be excepted, and leaving Ian back on board with Toffee, walked the 15 mins back to the surgery. By the time I returned I had done my 8000 steps!

So I did get an appointment but not until 12 15 pm. Another walk back but this time with Ian and Toffee in tow. It was raining, coming down heavy and I had the brolly. Ian could have shared but he is not a brolly man! I left him outside the surgery hoping it wouldn't be too long before I was seen and I must say, within 5 minutes of my appointment time I was called in.

Verdict is I definitely have an infection and my toe nail is about to come off. I also have a fungal infection which may have started when the nail started to lift several weeks ago. This means a trip to a Podiatrist at some point once the nail has gone.I just hope I can find one when the time comes!

I'm standing outside the doctors. Ian took this photo at Marilyn's insistence. I don't think she believed I would go.

No comments:

Blog Archive