About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday 21 August 2023

I was not expecting that reply!

 So many boats on the move today, three came past even before 8 am and all heading toward Glascote locks. We almost had the ropes off when Ian noticed yet another boat coming our way. Oh well, we may as well take our time now. 

A phone call from David not long after setting off was the good excuse for going really, really slow. I didn't want to reach the locks with the phone call ongoing, and the timing was almost perfect. M&D wanted engine advice from Ian, he is now their roving mechanic and give him his due, there is not much he hasn't been able to sort out. Anyway because of our slow travel I was surprised to see that boat just entering the lock. Maybe they were travelling even slower than us!


Glascote locks


I have probably shown the Ode to the Leaky Lock before so apologies to those that have seen it but to anyone dipping into this blog, never a truer word had been written.


 

 Arriving at Atherstone bottom lock, well we hadn't expected a queue!  Gosh this flight was busy with boats ascending and descending.


The wind pinned the lone lady boater to the side. To the rescue came a chap setting the lock.


 Between lock 9 and 8 a particular awkward short pound with a bridge spanning the canal, I really didn't want to be meeting another boat here. No room for two boats to pass, one would have to pull over to allow the other to proceed. But sods law was my downfall when out popped a boat from the lock ahead.




We nearly decided to stop on the Town moorings. Not our favourite place to stop, its all to do with a Cockrell. Bloody noisy bird has been here for years and always starts crowing at first light. Mid afternoon and it was heard near to the road bridge. Nop we would continue up the rest of the flight and hope for the volunteers to be on duty.


Town moorings

 That photo... of the lone lady boater being helped at the bottom of the flight...well Ian helped her as much as he could, I was left hovering between locks. He was working twice as hard but then boats started to descend which meant he could leave being the night in shinning armer and concentrate on me instead. There is a tale to be told about this lady. She was moving the boat for her boss and so-called friend to Brinklow. Engine problems had delayed her journey so time was now of an essence. Having phoned her 'so-called' friend and boss to tell him she would arrive tomorrow instead of today, this obnoxious man told her she had to deliver the boat tonight and tomorrow would not do! From the top of Atherstone flight another 6 hours cruising was ahead of her. Estimated time to arrive at her destination then would be nearer to 9 pm. To say she was upset was an understatement. I must also mention the volunteer lockies on the last 5 locks. They really took her under their wing, set all the locks in record time and got her up the flight as quickly as possible. As I write this, at 7 pm, she still had another 2 hours cruising ahead. Oh to be a fly on the wall when she meets that man. From what she told Ian there would be no holding back exactly what she thought of him!


The volunteers
 

The volunteers also helped us up the flight. It was getting very close to 4 pm, they were getting ready to go home but stayed. So grateful to them all, they do a fabulous job.



We managed to stop above the last lock. A lovely man in his cruiser moved up so we could get in. For us the day has been long, 7 hours is usually unheard of. Still the flight is now out of the way and next stop Ashby canal. Oh, I do hope I see another water vole. At the start of the Ashby near to Marston Junction is the best place to catch a glimpse.

And seen on route.

You may wonder why a photo of a plastic bag! Well a nice gentleman in an offside garden asked if I would like some runner beans. I was hovering in-between locks and said I would try to get over. The pound was low, I failed so he decided to throw the bag for me to catch. Well I never got to try my catching skills, his throw was even worse than mine and the bag landed in the canal. Oh dear, another unsuspecting boater will probably have runner beans around his prop! And talking of props


I was looking forward to beans for our dinner.

A boat was being held under the Watling Street Bridge. A chap was dipping a Keb (long handled rake) beside the boat water side. As I drew level I asked what he had lost. I was not expecting the reply. "My prop" said he!




And wild life





2 comments:

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Irene,
I really do wonder why the woman gave in and carried on to deliver the boat that night. What the hell was he going to do with it then? I guess though, if he was her boss, she felt a fair bit of pressure to do so. However it was an unreasonable expectation, I reckon!
Mxx

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

I agree Marilyn but I suppose she saw no alternative. Xxx

Blog Archive