About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Wednesday, 12 July 2017

It's happened again!

4 am Ian was up, 5 am he was up again and no, nothing to do with man problems. It was the river levels that was the worry. All night the rain came and with us only being on pins, Ian was naturally worried. But apart from slacking off the ropes, the pins held even with the 5" rise. Not exceptionally high but the flow was twice as fast as it had been when we arrived. If we had realised how close to Town Lock we were when we arrived yesterday we would probably have gone above to moor. Still on the river but a bit of cladding to put pins in. 

Town Lock, right by Weybridge with a hospital fire raging in the center. All on the local news this morning and from the lock we could see the smoke.

Weybridge in the distance.

It seems we are doomed every time we cruise the River Wey. We love this river but FS obviously doesn't. Once again she was being a temperamental cow as almost  the same problem occurred back in 2013 as did today.

Coxes lock was waiting for us with gates open (this is one of the instructions given on our travel documents, leave exit gates open.) The amount of rain last night meant the weirs were running pretty fast and my approach to the lock was anything but slow! 

It was full reverse to stop me hitting the top gates but then....a high pitched squeal could be heard only stopping when I went into neutral. Put in forward and the squeal started again. Back into neutral but this time the noise didn't stop. So engine off, ropes tied and Ian got me up very slowly.

The engine cover came up and the cause was found. The travel pack alternator had come loose. In fact, the bolts on the bracket had sheared causing the fan belt to slip hence the squealing. Thankfully the sheared bolts could be removed and a rummage around Ians toolbox and two more bolts were found. Within 40 minutes the job was done and we were able to get underway.

Just beyond Newark lock a lovely meadow presented itself. Just right for a BBQ. We pulled in, got table and chairs out, BBQ all ready to go when 60 minutes later we were on the P. River levels had dropped even further and it took some effort to push us out. Ian went to the next convenient spot with the pole to check the depth. Deeming it to be okay, table, chairs and BBQ stowed in the well deck and we set off once more. This time we are keeping fingers crossed that in the morning we wont be stuck fast! Did have some gongoozlers though. Very interested at what was going on!

By the first mooring.

And seen on route

Coxes Lock

Coxes Mill

Basingstoke Canal

Newark Priory.
 The wildlife

Trying to get out of the water. Nowhere for us to stop and help.

At one of the locks. This nesting duck


nb Chuffed said...

Irene, is that dragon/damselfly the shimmery green /blue one? It seems to have the same 'thumbprint' on the wings as the ones we saw the other day. Do you know what their name is? Best wishes, Debby

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hello Debbie, It is a demoiselle go to... https://british-dragonflies.org.uk/species/banded-demoiselle. Often seen on slow moving waters or rivers. Hope this helps Xxxx

Blog Archive