About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Saturday, 10 June 2017

Head on collision!

Will cooked us one of the best chillies we have had in a long time. Even Ian praised it and that's saying something because he reckons no-one can cook chilli like he can! Off course we partook of a glass or two (or three) of white wine and it was a happy bunch that departed to bed later.

Today we headed back to Market Harborough. Not something we had planned on doing but unfortunately, a small procedure Ian had done under local anaesthetic last Tuesday had started weeping nasty pus and, knowing of a walk-in centre at Harborough, decided it would be best to get it checked over. So it was through the swing bridge to wind by the locks first and then head back. We were almost alongside a Foxton day boat when we were hailed by one of the hirers. "Have you got any sellotape we could borrow?" said he. "We want to put some banners up and forgot to bring some" So into reverse and breast up next to him.

Having spent a good 20 minutes helping put up the banner we again set off. A quick goodbye to Lisa and Fred as we passed, then it was off to do the road swing bridge. Here we met another day boat and this turned out to be the slowest boat ever!!!

 But in a way, this was also their saving grace as coming toward them, and on a straight bit I might add, was another boat. The two boats bows were almost level when the oncoming boat suddenly turned the tiller the wrong way and an unavoidable collision occurred. The day boat was pushed into the bank, the other boat swerved out and then headed straight for us. Hard reverse and we missed each other by millimetres. But did he apologise? Did he heck!!! All he said was he was new to boating but, in my mind, a sorry form him wouldn't have gone amiss. Those on the day boat were stuck in the mud and we gave them advice on how to free themselves as we crept past. They were also going to phone the Foxton hire company and tell them what happened just in case they had any damage.

 By the time we arrived at Market Harborough it was gone 1 pm and then we had to find the medical centre. Google maps showed it to be very nearby and 5 minutes later we were in the waiting room. An hour later we were called in, a new dressing applied and told antibiotics may have to be prescribed but told to 'wait and see' if that dressing has any gunk on it when I remove it tomorrow.

On arrival back to the boat another surprise in store. There was NB No Problem. Not Sue and Vics new widebeam No Problem XL but the narrowboat sold over a year ago. I just had to meet the new owners Clyde and Liz. They are loving every moment of life a float and said it's a year since they moved on board. Because of the boat they have now met loads of people who knew Sue and Vic, and Liz has also had to put a few people straight when they called her Sue!

And seen today,

1 comment:

Marilyn McDonald said...

Irene, I need you to identify the bug in my post - please tell me what it is!

Blog Archive