About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Wednesday, 21 June 2017

Could this be the future?

Sunset Monday night,

Most of us will have experienced some very uncomfortable nights with the humidity and heat. For us though, last night was a good one as the side hatch (now waterside) could be left open. Made all the difference with that slight breeze.

Blast... a text from Colin to say today's sports day was cancelled! This intense heat was more than the infants could endure so the headmaster has called it all off. Very disappointed not to see our grandson Oliver compete and with sports day now scheduled for July, looks like we are never likely too. But, instead of leaving Campbell Park, it was decided that we still head over to our son's house and surprise both grandkids when they return from school. A bus journey and walk was in store for us now and in this heat, not one either of us was looking forward to.

Before we left and coming toward us was what I can only describe as 'a floating bedstead'! Ian then realised it was not being powered by an engine, but by the two people sitting at the back peddling away like mad. Not only did it go past at speed (which in normal circumstances they would have been asked to slow down) but not a sound could be heard as they drew level and with hardly any water displacement FS never moved at all. Wow, could this, therefore, be the future of boating when fuel becomes scarce? Not only would you stay fit and healthy doing all that peddling but the environment, as well as air quality. would benefit as all. Something to think about eh!

After lunch, it was only a short walk to catch the bus. But what we hadn't realised was the bus route had changed due to a road closure. Asking the workman was a waste of time as they had no idea where we had to catch the bus from. Walking to the stop, a notice was pinned saying the next bus stop was nearly half a mile away. Blooming heck!!! Within 12 minutes it would arrive at that stop. Never had Ian and I walked so fast, up a hill and in the searing heat. Seconds to spare was all we had as coming around the roundabout was the bus. And do you know...even the bus driver didn't know of the change of route until today! Thats transport for you! Colin said he would drive us to FS later so thankfully haven't got that route march back.

When I walked to Willen Lake early (before it got too hot) I took both cameras and macro lens. So lots of photos taken, a few here, but more on my Jameisons wildlife photos

Juvenile Green Woodpecker.

No comments:

Blog Archive