About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday, 24 December 2015

Oh cripes...is that water coming in the boat???

Well yesterday evening was certainly an experience and not one to be repeated!!! It all started while Ian was having his shower. I had settled down to watch TV when I heard water running from behind the cupboard where the TV was. Strange, thought I, but having moored opposite other boats assumed it was coming from them. But it didn't seem to stop. Went outside and the sound vanished and I even looked over the side to see if there was any water movement. Nop so where was it coming from???. Then I decided to stick my head inside the cupboard. Oh my God!!! Now it really could be heard. Shouting for Ian who had just come out of the shower, he hot footed it to see what all the fuss was about. At first nothing could be seen but then, a sudden thought saw him high tailing it back to the stern, lifting the small inspection hatch and discovering to his horror water nearly overflowing onto the carpet. Now we both swung into action. Ian realised the water hose from the water tank had either split of come off and on the wrong side of the cut off tap so it continually ran water into the bilge. Taps were opened, anything that could hold water was filled, even the bath although emptied several times to stop it overflowing and Ian started the long tedious job of bailing out the bilge with a 2 pint measuring jug into a bucket. After 90 minutes.....yes 90 MINUTES.... the water tank was empty!!! Ian was exhausted and had no idea how many buckets of water he had thrown over the side but it was above 40. Bilge still had water lying in it and will need to be pumped out in the near future but thank goodness we had successfully stopped the whole floor becoming a paddling pool

Filled every container so we could at least have water

Inspection hatch. Water nearly to the top

As there was no point in phoning Anglo Welsh at that time of night we left it to this morning. Steve was at Bunbury but, with no other staff to hand, couldn't attend and suggested we contact Great Hayward. They too had limited staff, what with it being nearly Christmas and they fully expected that getting to the tank to repair the pipe would be a major job. It was suggested we make for Norbury and they would bring a couple of water containers to see us through for the next few days.So we moored by the pub to await Marks arrival. Sure enough within an hour he was with us armed with the two containers. He also brought his tool box in the hope that something could be done. His idea of removing the panel under the front steps to get to the tank worked and before we knew it he had all but disappeared into the cavern. He eventually emerged with the end of the pipe clutched in his hand. The two pieces was reconnected making only a temporary fix,  it really needed a knew connector, but it should see as back to Bunbury. So having refilled the water tank at Norbury facilities we continued to Goldstone and moored by the pub. Here we will stay until Boxing day and just going to enjoy a day of festive cheer, well a few hours in the pub before a Christmas dinner of chicken and all the trimmings. Lets hope my usual prediction of things happening in threes doesn't materialise. Two has been quite enough thank you.

Coming into Norbury and we stopped by the pub

Mark showing the pipe without it's fixing.

I'm going in!!!!
.Some photos from the journey today.

Sunshine and showers today


The full moon this evening


KevinTOO said...

Good grief Irene...
Hope the rest of your trip is less stressful!

Happy Christmas to you both ;)

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Happy Christmas to you too Kevin. Xxx

Blog Archive