About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday, 4 November 2013

River to high for our liking!

We had some spectacular rainbows yesterday afternoon. Even this double rainbow which isn't always visible. A few more boats turned up later in the day and one that was only with us a very short while. He moored, turned his engine off, took out his phone and walked backwards and forwards, which I presume was to try and get a signal, then started his engine and cleared off! Within minutes another boat turned up, bright, shinny, new, not a mark on it and no name. He cleaned it all down before going inside. Even this morning before setting off he removed every leaf that had landed on the roof. I wonder how long he will keep that up for. Still everyone to there own. I did like what he had done to the rudder though.

Have darkened the photo to show off the rainbow.

With more rain forecast for the next few days we have decided to try and make a run for it. You see the Trent has to be negotiated before we can go up the Erewash canal and even though we have gone down on amber boards many a time, if it gets two high we wont fit under the bridge at Trent lock. A lot depends on the chap on the new boat. He set off this morning after making the boat look immaculate at about 7.15am. We set off 25 minutes later. The first lock, Branston, was about half a mile away and guess what........ he was only just leaving. Good grieve how slow was he going!!  We waited for another boat to ascend before  stopping for a Morrison shop near Burton for and hour and we thankfully never caught him up. At Dallow lock bottom gates were open. Could it be the same boater who just couldnt be bothered to close them?  I have no idea, but as my readers will know it's one of my pet hates!

Mr slow coach just leaving

Ian closing the bottom gates at Dallow lock. Blooming annoying when it has to be done twice!

Whats happened to the pictures at Dallows????

This is what used to be there.

With plenty of water underneath the hull, we made good time and soon we reached Stenson lock with the usual lunch time diners at the Bubble Inn who watched our every move. No mishaps this time as I was the only boat in the lock You may remember the last time we came this way back in June I got wedged solid between the lock gate, lock wall and another boat.

Going over the river Dove aqueduct we were concerned how fast it was flowing. The Dove flows into the Trent so if this river is in flood what will the Trent be like?

River Dove in flood
We were going to moor at Swarkstone lock but decided to push on to Cliffwood where the Trent runs parallel to the canal. This should give us a good indication as to what the river was doing. Having arrived the first thing most noticable about the river was the flow. It sure was high and running fast. While we were still mooring up a boat came from the direction of Shadlow and we asked if they had come up from the river.  They hadnt but informed us that the flood lock at Shardlow was closed so it seems we may not be able to reach the Erewash in the foreseeable future after all.

Trent looking very high

Just managed to get a photo of this Jay carrying an acorn.

And a lucky shot of a Kingfisher.

Just a few more photos from the park


KevinTOO said...

Welcome back to South Derbyshire, only seems like 5 minutes ago that you were going the other way...

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thanks Kevin TOO. Now that we are heading back to Langley Mill we don't expect to carry on with our travels and head north until January, that is if stoppages allow us to leave of course!

Blog Archive