About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday 21 November 2013

My hate relationship with dentists and an update on Ian

OMG the dental appointment was horrendous! We had found a NHS dentist nearby to replace the previous dentist who had left me in pain with a deep pocket cavity around my tooth and, after being told just to floss, had to have it sorted out while on holiday in Poland. The dental practice was in Sandiacre and we saw a very nice lady dentist. Ian went in first and 10 minutes later out he came with a big grin to say all was well. He had a scale and polish and then it was my turn. All seemed to go well at first. I had an xray on the root canal that was done in Poland and all my fillings checked. Then she said she would give me a scale and polish. Now my previous hygienist in Leicester always scaled by hand as my teeth and gums are particularly sensitive to the ultrasonic drill. I asked if she would do the same but she refused saying she wouldn't do a good enough job. So gripping the chair she started on the upper set. That was barely tolerable but as soon as she started on the lower set I about hit the roof. The pain was indescribable and I begged her to reconsider. Again  I got a refusal but instead said she would numb my lower gums with an injection. I endured 3 injections all equally painful and within 5 minutes my mouth went completely numb and she was able to carry on with the scaling. I eventually  came out of the room quite traumatised, shaking uncontrollably and with my heart racing. Ian wondered what had happened to me as I was gone for over 30 minutes. Having had such a bad experience I'm not sure if I want to go back. Maybe I need to go private with a proper hygienist rather then a dentist so I can have the hand scale I want. In the afternoon we were due to see Ians oncology consultant. With my mouth numb I worried that I wouldn't be able to ask any questions as all I seemed to be doing was slurring my words. He might think I was under the influence of to much vino but luckily by the time we left at 2pm my speech had returned to normal. So after an hours wait in the oncology department we eventually got called into the consulting room. It wasnt easy having to wait and worry at the same time and all both of us wanted was to hear the results. Now, although the tumour that I could see hadn't changed, ( Its on Ian's back impossible for him to view ) the nature of the beast means there is more in the inside then on the outside. A bit like an iceberg really. Anyway the first thing the consultant said to us was the MRI wasn't as conclusive as he would have liked. Apparently Ian had been placed in the wrong position on the scanner and some of the lower part of the tumour hadn't shown up. Dam!!! But then he smiled and said that what he could see appeared to be stable and may have even shrunk slightly. In fact he was so pleased that he told us not to return until May when another MRI will be scheduled. If any changes were to occur before the May's appointment Ian was to phone and be seen straight away. I must say this consultant has been marvelous. He has taken Ian under his wing and is determined to see that all goes well. Long may it continue.

Friday is ECP&DA work party so Ian wont be able to finish doing the engine until later in the afternoon. He is very confident that tomorrow will be the big day when the engine is finally running again. Keeping fingers crossed!


And finally:-







2 comments:

Mrs. Jaqueline Biggs said...

Oh that is good news Irene. I am sure you are relieved to get some finally. May Ian's health keep improving.

Blimey you made my eyes water with your description of the dentist. My dentist's office back in Pullman, WA USA always has a dental hygienist clean my teeth--but they offer nitrous oxide--which I ALWAYS accept! A bit like drinking a half case of Champagne without the hangover. I once told my dentist before a root canal, I thought the world would be a better place if we went to an Nitrous environment instead of oxygen and nitrogen. He laughed. A while later one of his assistants came in the room to ask him something and the dentist told her " Close the door--Jaqueline wants to go to a nitrous environment!"

Hope your mouth feels better now.
JaqXX

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hi Jaq,

Next time I need a scale I'll be off to the States! Sounds like a wonderful way to see the dentist. No pain and all gain. Oh and my mouth is all working fine, much to Ian's annoyance (-:
Xxx

Blog Archive