About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Sunday 13 August 2017

Wind in the Willows, Ratty

 Wasnt that meteorite shower spectacular last night. We stayed up until midnight watching the streaks of light across the sky. I found this explanation from Scientific American

. We know today that these meteors are the leftover debris shed by Comet Swift-Tuttle along its orbit. Discovered back in 1862, this comet takes approximately 130 years to circle the sun. And in much the same way that the Tempel-Tuttle comet leaves a trail of debris along its orbit to produce the spectacular Leonid meteors of November, Swift-Tuttle produces a debris trail along its orbit, causing the Perseids.

 Tried to get photos but I just can't seem to get the settings right on the Canon. Any tips anyone? Once it started clouding over we called it a night. 


Manual exposure, f 4.5 shutter speed 0.5s ISO 1600.  I could only get this photo because the camera had something to focus on. When pointed at the stars, I couldn't get the camera to take a photo. Any tips for getting over this problem?

Today there hasn't been much to report other than Ian has made a brilliant job of painting the gunwale.



 I, on the other hand, have done nothing.... well I have fished without any success, walked two miles in the search of more Water Voles and made sandwiches for lunch! You'll never believe this but no sooner had lunch finished than I spotted something swimming across the canal. Was it?...a Water Vole? Yes yes and just yards from FS. If only I had known, I could have saved my legs!









4 comments:

Dave Gibb said...

Hi Irene.
You need to turn auto-focusing off and set the lens at infinity.
Cheers
Dave

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thanks Dave, Next starry sky and I will have a go.

Linda Chandler said...

Lovely photos of the Water Vole - such shy creatures
Best Wishes
Linda

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thanks, Linda, Always feel privileged when I see one which is not very often.

Blog Archive