About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday, 10 August 2017

How long to wait for an omelette?

T'was a long long day leaving at before 7.30 am and not arriving back to FS until 9 pm. Hospital appointment was early (9.15 am) good time to get a parking space. Loads of spaces when we arrived but a realisation that neither Ian or myself had any money on us at all, only debit cards and so couldn't pay for a ticket. With minutes to spare before the appointment, a car park where a card could be used was found. Only trouble was the barrier was down and car park full sign was showing. We could see spaces but the barrier refused to raise. So we were naughty, the exit barrier was up and a quick reverse and we were in through the wrong entrance.

All clear was given by the consultant and another 6 months ticked off. Then the dilemma, how do we get out of the car park. With no ticket to put into the machine, the barrier would stay down. It must have been our lucky day though, as the exit barrier was still raised, and although we knew it was wrong, we slipped out the way we had entered, without paying!

The rest of the day was spent visiting friends Dennis and Margaret at Trent lock, then a drive to Coalville to get advice about pensions from a financial advisor and finally to Swadlincote and dinner (and yes we did get a slice of Josh's birthday cake)at our daughter's.

One downside to the day was how badly we were treated at the pub 'The Trent Lock' when Dennis, Margaret, Ian and myself went for lunch. Ordering Omelettes for us all you would think they would be at our table reasonably quickly. 45 minutes later we were still waiting and Ian went to ask if they were waiting for the hens to lay the eggs!! "Oh, I'll see what is happening" came the reply, And returned with "Chef is doing them now". 20 minutes later and still no sign even though meals were coming out for other diners, we told them to not bother and walked out!

Very relieved on our returned to see the solar panels had done their job. 100% charged so yipee, we could charge the laptops and watch telly now. Cribbage was put away for another day!

Mooring at Sutton stop
And a lacewing flew in as we opened the door.

No comments:

Blog Archive