About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday, 7 April 2017

Stranded on the wrong side of the harbour.

On the tour yesterday we were given two tickets for a one way trip on the rickshaw bus. Anther of those hop on hop off buses and because of this we planned our day  From a stop by the YMCA near the harbour in Kowloon we could get to Hong Kong island and alight by the Man Mo Temple and then get back on for the botanical and zoological gardens. Like all good plans, things don't always work out. What we hadn't realised or told by yesterday's guide was the bus terminated at the harbour on the Hong Kong island side and everyone had to get off. Our tickets had already been taken by the bus driver and would not allow us back on to continue our journey!

Whilst waiting for the bus, Top photo was the old police and fire station. Bottom photo, more of the bamboo scaffolding.

All alone on the top deck and the traffic congestion waiting to go through the tunnel linking both islands. Toll booths and 6 lanes going back into two and you can imagine the holdup!
 Nothing for it then but to walk through a maze of streets, some with very steep inclines. Didn't help matters when Ian's phone battery died on us. What a relief to have grabbed the map of Hong Kong before we left the hotel 'just in case'. Anyway, after a long walk we eventually found the temple. Most impressive but that incense.....air was thick with it.

Out came the map and we found another route towards the gardens. Our poor feet were by now beginning to shout 'stop stop we need rest'. So we listened to them and found a place have lunch. 2 large chilli chicken kebabs and two teas came to under £12. Eventually, we found the gardens. Free entry to both the zoo and gardens, now that was more like it.

A tiny Pygmy Marmoset.

By the time we had walked around this huge garden (both sides of a busy main road) we were ready to get back to the hotel for a rest. Ian also had the biggest blister on his foot so was suffering somewhat. We could have walked back to the ferry paid the $30HK (£3) which was about a mile away or we could take the train roughly .5 of a mile away and pay the same price. We chose the train. So impressed with the ease in which we got the tickets and the cleanliness of the station. Large sliding doors along the length of the platform screened the platform from the train.  No more suicides in these stations!

Within 10 minutes we were back at the hotel thankful to get off our feet. But by 7.30 pm we were getting decidedly hungry so it was off to the Stanley Market to find a place to eat. The market was thriving. Only on at night, the atmosphere was brilliant. No one hassled us even while looking at the goods on offer. If we said 'no thank you' they left us alone.

Meal was again cheap but the rain was the only thing that marred the evening. Totally unprepared we got rather wet returning to the hotel. Hope tomorrow is better. Off to the wetlands for a spot of wildlife spotting!

No comments:

Blog Archive