About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday, 10 April 2017

Last day in Hong Kong and now back in good old blighty.

As we thought, that last day in Hong Kong seemed to go on for ever. The humidity shot up again and at 26 degrees it was most uncomfortable. We visited a cemetery in the morning. Some would call that morbid but I find them peaceful and relaxing and this one held a fascination as it contained79 scattered Commonwealth burials of the First World War and 62 from the Second World War.We happened to see the grave stones when we took the tour bus on our way to the Happy Valley racecourse so of course I had to find out a bit about about it. So this became the first visit of the day.

As we had arranged a late checkout our bags were left in the room and the plan was to return by 1pm, shower, get changed into travelling clothes and then go find the space museum. All went to plan until we arrived at the space museum. Finding that renovation work was going on inside, the only thing available to see was a film at the theatre. In 3D this would have been amazing but all narrative was in Mandarin and the first English viewing wasn't until 6.45pm that evening. No good to us as we had to make our way to the airport. So instead we had another route march to go find the science museum and after 2km found the place. Quite enjoyed looking around as the information boards were in English as well as as Mandarin. The place was set out more for the children and, of course, with it being a Saturday absolutely packed.

A Star Wars theme
 After a couple of hours the decision to go collect our luggage at the hotel and make our way to the airport where we could cool down away from the humidity was a good one. On the walk back we spied this church looking a bit like something from Disney World and right next to it, a dog latrine!

Took roughly an hour from the hotel to the airport by bus and getting checked in was a doddle. Ian had already done this on line so after getting rid of the bags at the drop off point, went straight through security and found a comfy seat where we could wait the 7 hours before the flight.

The plane left on time, just after midnight, but the first part of the flight was awful. So much turbulence that the steward and stewardesses were told to get back to their seats and buckle up. When the emergency exit lights started flashing I thought the end had come!! Thankfully after 30 minutes of being buffeted in all directions the flight levelled out and all became calm. So glad I haven't got to take anymore flights in the foreseeable future, my feet can stay firmly routed to the ground.

So now we are back on home soil. Our son Colin and Grandson Oscar met us at the airport, a very early start for them as they had to leave Milton Keynes at 4.30am and then had a long wait for us to eventually come through immigration. Still the reunion was wonderful. So many hugs from Oscar that I think he was pleased to see us. Our other grandson Oliver had to stay at home. Only last week he fell off his bike and broke his collar bone but he also got massive but gentle hugs when we arrived back at the house.

Took the national express back on Monday morning and after 3 hours we finally set foot on board FS. All seemed okay inside and out (no condensation present, mould or musty smells) and the solar panels had kept our batteries topped up nicely. After plugging into the electrics the water tank was filled, then emptied to flush out any impurities and refilled again. The central heating went on and the bed was remade. A quick shop at Asda for 'essentials' before finally relaxing and enjoying the fact we were back on our floating home. We wont be setting off now until sometime in May. To many family and friends to catch up with and to bore by showing thousands of photos!

And at the cemetery,

A huge bug on it's back at he cemetery

And having righted itself.

No comments:

Blog Archive