About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday, 7 March 2017

Those teeth....and that gape....scary sight indeed.

Another really hot and sticky night. We had the AC going which helped but as soon as it was turned off (have to think of the neighbours) it was almost as if a tap had been turned on and we were stood under it. Nothing worse than lying in wet bedding! This cough of mine is also draining. Doesn't seem to be improving at all so may have to bite the bullet and visit a doctor.

This morning we were being met in Proserpine by the Crocodile Safari team, Mark and Ian. It was a trip down the Proserpine river in search of the Crocs followed by BBQ lunch, then a tractor trailer ride along the waterholes and finally Billy Tea and Damper later that afternoon. With a receding tide, we were ushered over to where the boat was to be launched.

In fact, we were very lucky to see any Crocs at all because for yet another year the rains had failed which would normally cool the water temperature enough to make the crocs come out to bask on the banks. The water temperature was above 30 degrees and he did ask if anyone would like to feel if that was right but not one of us took up THAT offer! At first we saw nothing and then bingo, newly hatched babies being watched over by mum. And further upstream a huge female tucked behind the bush on the bank. In fact, Mark took the boat right up to where she was basking and while we watched she opened her huge mouth. Wouldn't want to get to near to those teeth!

Mark reckons this was last years hatchlings.

Red bellied black snake.

Fiddler crabs

We spent a good 2 hours on the water before returning to base. Here Ian (not my Ian) had prepared the BBQ consisting of Steak, Chicken, snags (sausages) and Barramundi. Once that was consumed it was off on the road train for a lesson in how to keep one clean in the bush, as well as spotting the wildlife at the waterholes.

Red Ash leaves rubbed together with water.

Magpie Goose

Green tree ants nest

On our return, Ian had lit the fire and put the Billy (can) onto boil. Then it was add tea Aussie style and bring out the Damper (sort of bread) before finally returning back to pickup point by 3pm.

Adding the tea Aussie style.

Very hot Damper.

What did put in an appearence from under the Dunnie...Possums. And there was one hiding at the very top of the tent pole.

Still early we decided to head towards Rockhampton. Drove through a tremendous thunderstorm at Mackay before finding a convenient truck stop on route to spend the night. Lots of trucks coming and going. Surely it will quieten down later won't it?

No comments:

Blog Archive