About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday, 20 March 2017

All that rain throughout NSW and here in Oberon Blue Mountains they are crying out for some of the wet stuff. Good for us but not good for those that live here.

So today we went to the Jenolan Caves. From Oberon, it is only 28km, but the road is narrow with jutting out rocks and really is unsuitable for large vehicles. Instead, we had to go the long way round adding another 50km onto our journey. Even that road was a bit hairy with a descent of 8 km with sharp U pin bends.  Luckily we only met one other small truck and that was on a wide bit. Anywhere else and we would have been in serious trouble. The tour started at 10.30am, which we made by the skin of our teeth, but 90 minutes underground with amazing stalactites and stalagmites as well as crystals shining like diamonds was well worth the $80. 386 steps up and down still made me very breathless, though, and I vowed that on our return to Oberon a doctor would be sought.

The entrance to the Jenolan Caves

A lake by the cave entrance was a short walk away. Said to have Duck-Billed Platypus we walked around to look for them. Of course, we didn't find any because it was much too early in the day for them to put in an appearance but we did notice the so-called 'blue lake' was actually green!

Our return to Oberon took roughly an hour and the first thing to look for was a doctor's. A medical centre was right in the heart of town and, not expecting to get an appointment, was very surprised when I could be seen at 4.30pm. Only an hour to kill and such a nice doctor when I did get in to see him. Nearly a full MOT and apart form a crackly lung and a slightly raised blood pressure he said I was remarkably fit for my age. So I came away with antibiotics, a repeat prescription if it doesn't clear up, $65 lighter for the consultation and another $19 for the tablets. Didn't think that was too bad and if it does the job, I will be one very happy bunny. I did ask about alcohol intake with the tablets because of Jennifer's (second niece) wedding on Saturdayas I wanted to join in on the toast with some bubbly. He okayed that so now even happier.

Back to my brothers tomorrow. Will do a big campervan clean before returning it on Wednesday. Only one more adventure to come and that is on our way home beginning of April. Then we fly to Hong Kong for 5 days. In the meantime, I look forward to Jens wedding and me and my twin brothers birthday on the 27th.


Jenny said...

Such amazing photos!!
Do hope that after your visit to the doc you can finally shake off whatever has been bothering you.
WE have enjoyed following your adventures around our side of the world.

Robin and Jenny, Romany Rambler

Ian and Irene Jameison said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thanks, Jenny, Such a privilege to have toured around this wonderful country and seen the amazing sights here in Australia and New Zealand. There is still a vast amount we haven't seen so a return visit is on the cards in a few years. Need to save some cash first! As for my cough, I have strong antibiotics which will hopefully clear it up. Back to the UK in 2 weeks. We will miss this 6 months of travelling on the other side of the world. Life will seem a bit tame! All the best on your travels. Xxxx

Blog Archive