|Leaving the base|
|Had a gongoozler watching Ian winding.|
Soon we arrived at the fork where Dukes Cut goes off to the left with Kings Lock to the right. It was on the approach to Dukes Cut lock that we had a long hold up. Two boats, one in reverse and the other tied to it and facing forward, was trying to get to the lock. The chap on the green boat was steering by using the pole. I managed to get Ian off at the bridge and thought I was as well to stay within the bridge 'ole boundary (that wind was a right menace!) and waited over 45 minutes before Ian finally beckoned me to the lock. Instead of rising to the Oxford Canal I descended!!! Very strange considering one would normally lock up from a river! There had been a slight rise in water levels but wouldn't have thought it enough to warrant going down. Maybe someone can put me right on this phenomenon. Anyway I stayed below the lock waiting, as Ian again had to help the reversing boat. He was heading back to his mooring after collecting the pink boat for his daughter to live in. So another 20 minute wait before I was finally able to make the left turn and ascend the lock.
|Dukes Cut to the left|
|Using the pole to steer|
|Waiting below Duke Cut lock to do the left turn to Dukes lock|
|Green boat arrives back at it's mooring|
|Only lift bridge today.|
Do you remember my disaster on hitting Yarnton bridge 'ole and knocking our Buckby can spout clean off? (click here) Well that same bridge got me again! This time I was trying to stay well over the towpath side because Ian was fishing with the sea magnet in the hope we may be able to find the spout (I had my doubts after 5 months) All that happened was the wind pushed me against the far side brickwork and the hand rail ended up gently wedged on the side. Ian had to rush for'ard and give a hefty push. The spout was given up as a bad job!!!
|Not a true curve thats why I knocked the spout from the Buckby can|
|Ian going fishing|
Total today 7 miles and 5 locks. Wet tomorrow, (says the met office) so whether we move or stay is a decision for tomorrow.