About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday, 19 November 2015

Move day 7 and crikey was my eyes deceiving me

Oh what a lovely peaceful night with only the slight hum of the M40 in the distance. And oh how nice to have a lie for a change. It was turned 9am by the time we got up, sheer luxury. Plans for today, first go to fallen tree to see if any other boat was moored on the other side and then phone C&RT to see if they had any idea of when the contractors would arrive. Well the first of the plans didn't happen as it started to rain and didn't let up until after midday.

 The second on the list did happen, phone C&RT, and we were told that the contractors would arrive sometime today and they would phone back to let us know when. So we settled down to reading the towpath talk, playing Sudoku (Ian) and me doing code words. No phone call was forthcoming so after lunch and, once the rain had nearly stopped, I walked through the bridge 'ole toward the tree. Well I stopped dead in my tracks and was completely stunned!!!! Where was the tree??? Had I dreamt it all???? In fact I started walking back to the boat, turned to have another look just in case my eyesight had deceived me but no the tree had definitely been removed.

 How and when was the question I asked myself. No sound of chainsaws and no phone call from C&RT. I rushed back to Sun Dance, told Ian who was equally stunned and pulled pins post haste getting us underway. Hats off to C&RT for responding so quickly but I do wish they had contacted us, we could have got back on track that much earlier.

Loads of logs to be had. Shame we were not on FS.

So we reached Kingswood junction, turned onto the Stratford, was told the canal was closed.........WHAT.... PARDON....did I hear right!!!! Then relief as it was the South Stratford that was closed not the North.

 Water was a priority and it was good to be able to fill the tank. Got the first 6 locks out of the way and stopped on the visitor mooring before lock 14. By now time was after 3pm and, as I was wet through to my undies from leaning on the balance beam opening the gates, I just wanted to get in the shower and have a warm. Once moored Ian informed Anglo Welsh at Tardebigge that we were on the move again and to expect us on Saturday, that is if nothing else untoward happens between now and then.

Kingswood junction

See I can do locks.....just not very often

Phew, a bit out of practice me thinks

3.45 miles, 6 locks, 1 hour 50 minutes

And the moorings at bridge 62 and on route,

Gold Crest


Sally Bridger said...

Hello from nbCwtch! You passed us yesterday afternoon - we are the blue and red boat in your pic, on the right, just as you turned onto the Stratford.

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hello Sally, If only we had known!!! Would love to have met you. Will look out for your boat in the future. Xxx

Blog Archive