About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday, 3 September 2015

We have a plague.

 At least 20+ 0r more. Even in the well deck another 8 have been evicted. Nests are everywhere and I can only surmise these creatures fall from the trees, especially Willows. What am I talking about?? Spiders! Big ones, small ones, fat ones, thin ones and found all in this last week. Every morning Ian gets the brunt of their webs. He's always first up, to make tea and toast for her ladyship (me) but if I do get up early (visiting the smallest room in the house) always mange to get underneath them. Something to be said for being virtually challenged! Checking in all the corners and window frames the tell-tale signs of fluffy small white spheres. Hundreds of spiderlings all ready to invade. So they were removed along with the spiders sitting on these cottonwool balls waiting for the young to hatch.

Boat rocked last night. Not through lock usage but because two boaters mounted FS's bow with rope in hand, bow hauling their boat towards the lock. They had hailed us first but before we could reply  one of them was on the front. Still in this sort of situation we didn't mind. Apparently their alternator had given up way back along the canal and home was within sitting distance so decided to 'walk it back'. Three more boats had to be negotiated and I hope the owners of those boats were understanding too.

18.30 and before the rain set in.
Today saw us on our way to Berkhampstead. Didn't quite get there as it was gone 10. 30am when we left and way past lunchtime by the time we stopped. We were following the railway and didn't really fancy a night with goods trains thundering past. We saw a decent spot away from the railway by lock 59 Winkwell flight and we felt 2.5 hours of travel and having to turn every one of the 5 locks was enough for one day.

Thought this a bit harsh at Winkwell boat marina. Don't think I would want those sort of restrictions

For once Ian didn't get his usual pleasure in stopping traffic. Felt quite let down as the feeling of power gives him a thrill (doesn't take much these days.)

So only thing of interest seen today was this large moth. It landed on the cabin side of the boat opposite.


Halfie said...

Congratulations on getting your plaque! Some historic towns are full of them, but a boat, well, that's impressive. 20 or more, you say? Seems a bit greedy. So many that you have to evict them? Yes, I suppose they would tend to clutter the place.

(Forgive my impishness - a plague on me!)

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Opps. A plague on me too me thinks. Spelling dyslexia. Have corrected (:

Jennie said...

I am a few days behind bo:th reading and writing our blog! The boat being hauled along that passed you at 18:30 went past us at Winkwell (we were moored just past the swing bridge) at 14:25! They were heading for the marina at Apsley so still had three locks to negotiate before they got there when they passed you! Passing us was rather more dramatic than it should have been. Chris and Ken had gone to the pub whilst Sue and I got on with bits and pieces. I was quietly minding my own business when I heard a loud splash - the lady had fallen in comprehensively. Sue did offer the use of their shower, but although that was turned down we think she stopped and changed after the bridge. I have no idea how long they had been towing the boat for, but they must have been exhausted. They had a lot of moored boats (often 2 abreast) to get past. We wished we had been going the same way as then one of us would have towed them. We are at Bulbourne today having spent two nights at Cow Roast whilst Sue and Ken got their new fridge delivered and fitted.

Blog Archive