About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday, 17 September 2015

Not really the done thing.

No it wasn't but I hope you will all forgive us for doing it. You see we moved the boat. Not by much, just about 10ft, but enough to get us away from those blasted falling Crab apples! Why should that be a problem I hear you ask? Well we have now left a gap at both ends. Initially it was just behind us by about 30ft but when a wide beam was asked to move on by the C&RT enforcement officer because he had been sat on the 24 hour mooring by the lock for 4 days, he pulled into a space in front of us.  He pulled forward sharing a ring with the boat in front, which meant another 10ft or so gap in front of us! I can just imagine what boaters will be saying 'cause I would have said it too!!!, There is still room on the 24 hour now that the wide beam has left and also right at the end of the line of boats on the 14 day moorings. Still, this really is no excuse for what we have done but we just couldn't envisage another night of being bombarded by those apples.

Thats the wide beam leaving and causing havoc in the process.

Ian left this morning to fetch the car from Nottingham.  Three bus journeys including a National express but so much cheaper than by rail. At £12 for the National express he would have been silly not to have gone with it. Yes it will take him all day and I don't expect him home much before 6pm. With him gone I have at last polished the starboard side of the boat. The torrential rain last night, lasting for a considerable length of time, washed the sides nicely. Then it was off to the salon for a trim , have lunch and then bake a ginger loaf ready for Ian's return. Tomorrow the car gets an MOT and if it passes we may head off to Newlands. We will await the outcome.

And seen opposite FS now that we have moved.


No comments:

Blog Archive