About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday 14 October 2014

Life without Jade

 And almost impossible to comes to terms with. Every thing on the boat reminds us of her. Jade was a big part of our life and even the little things, like mooring up and seeing Jade waiting expectantly for us to say she could come off the boat, settling down on her place on the engine room floor as soon as we start the engine, looking at us at breakfast hoping for a piece of our toast and not letting us forget that her Dentastix was due at 8pm every night, I mean, how did she know the time? She never failed to remind us because her eyes would 'bore holes in our head' until we got up and fetched one out of the cupboard. Yesterday was particularly bad when I was left on my own.  Ian left Campbell park early to return our car back to Sandiacre and I thought it a good opportunity to clean the boat inside. Bad move! Jades hair was everywhere and clearing it away made me feel as if I was sweeping Jade out of our life.Then I heard a thump on the roof in the middle of washing the floor and rushing out found this cat on our solar panel. It even came in through the front door and proceeded to walk towards where Jades bed had been. Uncanny that it sensed that no dog was on board.


Having spent the morning crying, which made the eyes all red and puffy, Ian eventually returned by 2pm and realising the state I was in gave me a huge cuddle. Not wanting to stay at the park any longer we pulled pins and made our way, in very damp and drizzly conditions, to Gifford Park. For the first time in goodness knows how long, we locked the boat as soon as we moored. Normally this is done after Jades last walk at 10pm, just another thing to get used to now she has gone.
This morning we pulled onto the facilities to water up. Just as we had finished a boat pulled in behind. A lady came out of the boat and said how sorry she was about Jade. She had read my blog so knew of our distress. I promptly burst into tears. Then this complete stranger threw her arms round me, gave me the biggest hug and told me to let go and let the emotions come out. Eventually when I had pulled myself together I found out she also blogs, boat name ewn ha cul (meaning straight and narrow) and her name was Dot and husband Gordon. We must have chatted for nearly 40 minutes with both Ian and Gordon joining the conversation. What lovely lovely people. Dot really helped me to come to terms with Jades loss and for that I will be forever grateful. I dont think she realises just how helpful she was. I know every day is hard at the moment but I also know that every day that passes will become that bit easier. So we really hope to meet up with them again on our travels. Thank you both for cheering us up.



Took a few photos on our route to Stoke Bruerne.

Held on by a front chain only

and well on the way to sinking by the looks of it.

Lovely autumnal colours by lock 6





1 comment:

Elly and Mick said...

Dot is a lovely lady, Irene. We knew Dot and Gordon at Aston Marina over Winter. She smoked us some delicious salmon and also some Brie cheese! I've thought of you often this week as we play with Klara. I remember oh, so well, how long I felt really sad after losing Coco. I couldn't look at a photo without crying for a very long time. Just keep telling yourself what a lovely life she had with you.
Elly (ex nb Parisien Star)
xx

Blog Archive