About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday, 16 October 2014

And they say us women talk non stop!

Up with the lark again this morning, but not because of our thoughts of Jade (although we think of her all the time), no it's because of this mooring below Buckby locks. Its a lovely mooring but oh so noisy, what with the M1 on one side and trains on the other, and sleeping in was impossible. Then there was the locks to do. A boat had descended late yesterday so we had high hopes of the locks being with us. This turned out to be the case for the first lock only! All the other 6 were against. Leakage perhaps???

Mooring below bottom lock. photo taken at 7.45am
Anyway we made it to the top by 9.45am and after watering up set off to Norton Junction, turning R onto the Leicester section of the GU. Moored just yards from the junction was Del and Al Derwent 6.
Al was on her way back to the boat having spent time with her dad so we didn't get to say hello but Del poked his head out of the side hatch. We only managed a brief natter and as we are heading in opposite directions I don't expect paths will cross now until maybe next year when hopefully we can do a good catchup.

Watford flight came upon us all to soon. 7 locks with 4 being a staircase. It was as we both walked up the flight to make ourselves known to the lock keeper that we found two volunteers by the bottom of the staircase lock. On giving our boat name, one of the volunteers said 'didn't I meet you at Foxton about 4 years ago'! Turns out it was John, the most helpful lockie we had encountered and yes he still talks for England. Mind you the other volunteer Ian could talk equally as much as John and is equally as helpful. On par with John that's for sure.

The two Ian's chatting away

Still talking

Still nattering and oblivious that the next lock wasn't ready

Until John showed up and got the gates open

And then it was both of them talking non stop! John is on the left.
Having really enjoyed the ascent up the flight thanks to the lovely volunteers, John and Ian, I was cruising along quite happily with Ian was below making lunch when I suddenly spied some boaters gold on the far bank. Full into reverse, smoke pouring from the engine, Ian rushing to the back wondering what was going on and then was very relieved that it was nothing more serious then my hope in getting the logs. Not even sure if we could get the bow near the bank but I just had to try. So easy does it and bingo the bow was in. Now all Ian had to do was leap off and, by leaving FS at an angle across the cut, we both managed to get the wood onto the roof.

Good job another boat came along.
Another hours travel and we decided to call it a day. Nice mooring opposite Crick marina and expecting a lovely peaceful night 'cause there are no cars! and no trains!!!!

Wildlife on route

No its not dead. Just has an itchy leg

Tightrope walker?

No comments:

Blog Archive