About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Saturday, 15 December 2012

On our way

Oh joy of joys. No ice to be seen anywhere in the basin. So decision made, we were going! After a nice cup of tea and a slice of toast, Ian set to by taking the aerial down, replacing our center rope, disconnecting the electric cable from the meter and replacing our tall chimney with our short one. I started to take down my bird feeders ( I had peanuts, fat balls and seed dispensers ) and became aware that I was being closely watched by 'Robbie' the Robin. Comes to something when you start naming birds but he jealously guards the fat balls from any other Robin or Bluetit that comes anywhere near them. I started to feel a bit guilty about taking the food away, so, as I had a few spare fat balls, I hung them in the hedge to tide the birds over until our return in January. By 9 am we were ready for the off. Ian turned the ignition key, waited for the coils to heat up, turned it again and...........nothing. Just the sound of a 'click click' every time he tried. We couldn't believe it. After waiting in the hope that  the weather would improve, were we then to be foiled by a dead starter battery? Thankfully Ian had a set of jump leads on board and after a bit of ferreting about came up with the goods. After removing everything from his 'man' cupboard ( you wouldn't believe the stuff he carries ) he unearthed the batteries and with all our fingers crossed, turned the key once again. The engine roared into life with clouds of white smoke filling the basin but at least she started and we could finally get underway.
With Ian driving the car and lock wheeling, I had a really great uneventful journey to Sandiacre. The only fly in the ointment was when I met .a couple of fishermen who cheerfully asked where I was heading for. " Milton Keynes" says I. To which one of the replied, "Not a hope me duck as the river Trent is well up!" ' Hey ho' thought I 'here we go again'. Still, as we wouldn't be leaving until Tuesday, the river may already be on the way down. A drive down to Trent Lock on Monday will show us if we have once again been scuppered by the weather..

Ian walking between Eastwood & Shipley ;lock before going back to get the car

Jade (L) & Echo watching as Ian crosses the gate. It is nice to have two dogs again.

1 comment:

Jo (Boatwoman) said...

So pleased to see you have got away. Fingers crossed for the River. Have fun you two, oh and not forgetting the dogs lol. xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Blog Archive