About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday, 18 December 2012

On our way back and an update on Ian

First the update. The very good news is the consultant finally rang Ian with the result of the MRI scan and confirmed that the tumour had shrunk and the mixture of chemo drugs seem to be working.  Monday afternoon Ian went for his last chemo of this year, told the nurse that he wouldn't be back until the 7th January, to which she asked him exactly which hospital was going to flush his pic line through! Turns out the longest the line could be left without flushing it with saline, would be 10 days. Now why hadn't the consultant told us this when he gave us 2 weeks off! It has turned out that it was a good job we were unable to leave by boat after all! So now Ian has to go back to the hospital on the 22nd and then again on the 28th. Seems he is not free of the NHS after all. 

It was horrible having to wind this morning, and head back to Langley Mill. On the plus side though what a wonderful day for cruising. No wind and just a few wispy clouds covering the sun every now and then. Ian set off in the car and by the time I had reached the first lock of the day, he was just opening the gate. It's a real bonus when every lock had been made ready and, although we were the only boat to go down the Erewash, Ian still had to turn round 8 of the locks. At Potters lock we met a community support team painting the lock gates, which made it a little difficult for Ian to work me through. He had to be very careful that his shirt wasn't covered in black and white hammerite!

I was also very lucky to catch a glimpse of Kingfisher. He was perched above Stanton lock, ( you may have read my post of the fire and consequent pollution from Stanton lock to Trent Lock) so fish stocks must be good above. There are still no fish below but C&RT have confirmed that restocking will start shortly.

Approaching Stanton Lock

Not a brilliant photo but trying to steer the boat and use the camera without crashing into the bank is nigh on impossible.

Even after having to turn the 8 locks, we made good time reaching Langley, doing the journey in a little over 4 1/2 hours. It almost seems as if we haven't been away and the first thing I did was to get out my bird feeder. The fat balls I hung on the hedge were all but finished so even if we hadn't  wanted to come back,  at least the birds will welcome us.

A few photos from the journey

What a fabulous nesting box. Someone's got a good imagination.

I spied something hiding behind the tree.

Jade watching the world go by

Stenson lock

1 comment:

Jo (Boatwoman) said...

Hi both.
Excellent news on Ian's tumour, things are heading in the right direction. Drat on having to go back to have the line flushed, but better to have it done. I dare say the consultant was so excited at letting you off for 2 weeks it completely slipped hi mind about the line grrrr.
Lovely photographs as always. Hugssssssss J xxxxxxxxxxxx

Blog Archive