About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday, 29 October 2012

A shattering experience

Saturday was a busy day, first walking Jade in Shipley Park, and then taking a drive over to Derby to visit our daughter Christine.  There we were constantly plagued by our grandson Josh as he wanted to play policeman and the villain ( we of course were the villains and had to be taken to jail )so when we left later that afternoon completely exhausted and drained ( we are definitely getting to old to be crawling around on hands and knees ) , both of us looked forward to an evening watching Strictly , Merlin and Casualty in front of a roaring log fire and a glass of wine. By 10pm we decided that bed was calling us and Ian did his usual banking up of the fire, emptying the ash pan and riddling the grate. Thats when disaster struck. As Ian was was stoking the fire, an ember literally lept out of the open door onto the hearth. Ian did no more then slam the door shut with the poker to stop any more of the embers leaping out and that's when the glass fire door cracked and shattered. We couldn't believe that had happened and, as the fire was still roaring away, there was noway we could go to bed and leave the fire unattended. There was nothing for it but to settle down again with yet another glass of wine, put the telly back on, and continue watching what Ian describes as dross TV.

Picture taken on Sunday morning

Saturday night was chilly and for the first time this year we put an extra blanket on the bed. I felt really sorry for Jade having to curl up on her bed without any heat but then I thought, hang on a minute, she has got a fur coat which sheds constantly ( tumbleweed all over the boat ) so keeping warm was probably not an issue. First thing Sunday morning Ian removed the fire door and what was left of any glass in the fire, managed to unscrew the bolts holding the glass remains onto the door, and then set of to Midland Chandlers at Mercia Marina, Willington where he purchased a new glass and seal for £20. The rest of Sunday saw us toasty warm again once the glass was replaced so we had no need for the extra blanket that night.

Today was the usual blood test and chemo day and so nothing productive ever gets done. Still there is always tomorrow, and the next day, and the next........................!


Fred and Lisa. said...

Hi,So pleased you got the fire fixed.Could have been an awful lot worse.Sorry we missed you when we left.Take care both.

Jo (Boatwoman) said...

Glad all is ok now. The glass in our fire cracked and I still have no idea how, but when we took the glass out and looked at the thickness of the old glass compared to the new on, I was shocked to see how thin it was. New glass installed after purchasing it at Midland Chandlers in Braunston and a spare glass just in case it should happen again.

Jo x

Blog Archive