About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday 1 May 2014

Is there a new code to mooring?

Weathers been up and down all day, one minute torrential downpours and the next cold and dry. With the weather forecast still fresh in my mind this morning I thought I would take Jade out earlier rather then later. Unfortunately I didn't quite make it back to FS when the heavens opened and Jade and I had to make a dash for it.
Taking shelter under the bridge. FS is only a short run away and I had hoped this was a short shower, but no such luck.
 Not many boats were moored at Branston but this was one of the few that arrived yesterday afternoon. On my way back and, bearing in mind the time was just after 8am with no sign of life on the boat (curtains still drawn), I noticed, and thought odd, that his boarding plank and boat pole was lying on the ground rather then on the roof. The plank was at the bow and the pole at the stern stretching from the boats rudder to the length of the staff. Now why would a boater leave plank and pole on the ground over night? It was just asking for them to be pinched. Then I had another thought. Was this a way of saying he didn't want any other boats to moor near to him? Is this a new code that has gone round the new age boaters and us old timers have had no knowledge off? I would be interested if anyone else has come across this and also if we should all adopt this method? Both Ian and I hate gaps left between boats and always pull up to another boat even sharing rings, and we both feel this should be the norm rather then the exception to the rule. Your comments would be most welcomed.


Only had my telephoto lens on the camera so couldn't get a distance shot but I think you can get the gist of it.

1 comment:

KevinTOO said...

Well my view is... if there are mooring rings/bollards they are there to be used by as many boats as possible, so yes I agree with you and Ian, button to button is the order of the day.
Where there are no rings/bollards and you are out 'in the wilds' and want solitude so be it! Of course this doesn't apply to special features such as Tixall Wide etc...

Blog Archive