About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday 6 May 2014

More doom and gloom.

Having posted about the destruction of the surrounding habitat and wildlife because of the need for housing, I was equally upset to see that Ash die-back has also hit these parts. I took my walk past Tatenhill Lock and round the fishing lake almost opposite the water park. Having climbed over a stile at the far side I came to where the National Forest had newly planted hundreds of different specious of trees and came across the dying Ash. More worryingly was that the young Oak saplings were also showing signs of some sort of disease.



Oak sapling

The ends of the leaves are showing signs of blacking.
 Having returned with the evidence I have emailed the RSPB with my photos and findings. I know nothing can be done but it seems the disease is spreading North.

On a lighter note Ian and I took a drive out to see how Christine was getting on. She is, understandably, getting fed up having only a week left to go. The baby has had another growth spurt which is making Christine very uncomfortable With another scan due on Friday afternoon she has asked us to collect Josh from school in case she is delayed. Both of us are still keeping fingers crossed that baby is on time.

Coming back from Swadlincote we came across Rosliston Forest. It looked to inviting to drive past so decision made to go have a look.


Look at all that wood!!!!











I have also seen the first male Demoiselle Agrion. Quite early considering we are only just into May, although there appear in May and stay until August.



No comments:

Blog Archive