About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Wednesday 14 May 2014

When needs must yet again!

What a great day to go for a jaunt to empty the loo's and water up. With no news from Christine and, after a quick phone call to make sure she wasnt't having contractions, we pulled pins at about 8.30am and made the hour ong cruise to the services. First we had to drop down Branston and then Dallow locks. Horninglow facility block was our destination and we were extremely lucky to arrive when we did. No sooner was the hose attached to the tap when a hire boat turned up. He shoved the boat into reverse, asked if this was where he could water up and then stopped right in the middle of the bridge ole to await his turn.  I sort of pointed out the error of his ways as had now effectively blocked the canal. So off he toddled to wait on the towpath instead.  With us having two water tanks that poor chap must have wondered what we were up to especially as I got the bucket out to wash the side of the boat. It took nearly 25 minutes to fill both tanks and I could see him getting more agitated. He kept looking at us from across the way giving us the evil eye. Still, we were not going to be rushed and I was going to make sure both tanks were full. After all, we may have another fortnights wait before we can get on our way and fill the tanks again.

Bridge 'ole to the right and the turn into the services on the left. Some may remember Andrew Denny on nb Granny Buttons. I dont think he is blogging any more but this was where he moored.

 On the way back we were terrorised by a number of geese who obviously felt we had no right to be in the lock. Many years ago a farmer told me to show no fear in front of geese or swans and run at them with outstretched arms. It's all in making oneself look much bigger and more threatening then them and I must say it worked like a treat. They realised I was not to be messed with and soon scarpered!!! Makes one wonder how many other boaters have been seen off by them!


I think this is a new Mural that has replaced the old one. No doubt someone will let me know if I'm wrong.

Not bad. Shame about the distortion




Arriving back at the park by lunchtime we managed to get our old mooring back. For some reason the internet by the park mooring has been abysmal. Yet here, through the road bridge, we can at least get a half decent signal. I will never understand why moving a few yards can make all the difference.
After lunch I set off for my walk with out Jade. She still has issues walking by the park. The bird scarer can only be heard very faintly from this mooring so I fully expect her to improve from now on. In the meantime Ian set to on the aluminum frame for our other top box lid. The fabric one has all but given up the ghost and having a proper lid to lift is so much easier. (plus it will look ten times better). So here we are again.........still waiting for Grandchild no.4. I'm beginning to think this baby is much to comfortable in mummy's tummy and doesn't yet want to greet the world.


Seems the Damselfly are starting to make an appearance. This one is an Azure Damselfly

Greylag goose

Canada Goose

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Horninglow Basin. OMG! We hired a boat in March and I had to water up there, I was doing nicely turning in until a bloody big gust of wind blew us sideways almost into a little plastic cruiser moored there!! Thankfully there was someone there cleaning his boat and he grabbed a rope for us!! I so hate that water point!! LOL

Blog Archive